Marbling on wooden penholders

  • WindDncr24@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      I would love to try marbling on wooden penholders. There are some
      marbled ones out there already, but the ones I have found are all the
      same (black marbling on a gold or silver background). I wanted
      something with more variety.

      I was wondering how you would go about marbling something cylindrical
      like a penholder? Some of them are also tapered at one end.

      Do I have to paint the entire penholder a different color first? I
      haven't done marbling, but this is something I'd really like to do.
      I have tons of wooden penholders and marbling them different colors
      would make it easier to identify which one I need. Would I need to
      seal it afterwards? If so, what would make a good sealant?

      BTW, the set that I have is a Galen Berry marbling kit that I
      purchased from Daniel Smith.

      Thanks in advance :)

      Ginn
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2001
        I hope someone here on the list has a good suggestion about marbling on
        other than fabric and paper. I'd be curious to know if the wood has to be
        'fixed' first, to accept the paints, and if the way to go would be to try
        and roll the pen holder across the size--or develop a dip method to catch
        the paint on the wood..And I wonder if the pen needs to be sealed in varnish
        afterwards, to keep it from chipping paint off.
        Jill

      • carolscott56560@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
          --- In Marbling@y..., "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@s...> wrote:
          > I hope someone here on the list has a good suggestion about marbling on
          > other than fabric and paper. I'd be curious to know if the wood has to be
          > 'fixed' first, to accept the paints, and if the way to go would be to try
          > and roll the pen holder across the size--or develop a dip method to catch
          > the paint on the wood..And I wonder if the pen needs to be sealed in varnish
          > afterwards, to keep it from chipping paint off.
          > Jill

          Hope you'll give it a try.

          Carol