[Marbling] Methyl Cel vs Carragheenan

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2001
      Right on Milena.......No one likes burlap underwear! I never heard the
      difference between carrageenan and methyl cel put into such precisely
      accurate terms! I laughed for ten minutes.

      You get a so much finer end result with the carrageenan, and yes it spoils
      after a few days, but I only mix up as much as I need per day. A pound of
      the carrageenan is not gone through very quickly for most marblers. I can
      marble at least 400-500 standard size sheets to the pound, possibly more,
      never really counted, but I know if I do several hundred+, per week it
      takes me at least two weeks to go through a pound, and then with some left
      over. If you do the math it's not that expensive per sheet, and well worth
      the extra expense results-wise.

      Better to save money by not buying papers from art stores like rice papers
      or expensive art papers. You can get Classic Laid or Classic Linen and many
      other great papers in 70lb.text weight from your local paper suppliers that
      sell to printers. You have to take a carton of 1000 sheets generally, but
      it is really inexpensive per sheet. If you buy in bulk it gets even
      cheaper....it may work out to 25cenys per sheet. It is great for marbling
      and is acid free. I have been using these for over 23 years now. They work
      better than the fancy pricey stuff for me and look better anyway because of
      the tight weave.

      i.