Re: [Marbling] Back at it

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
      HI
      When cleaning the size I use a napkin and cover the entire pool and pick up
      all the layers of top trash and have a fresh new size to color on.Why
      anyone would skim or drag the trash under the top is beyond me.Try this and
      let me know.I use a heavy napkin it costs 1 penny each but it picks up
      everything.Does anyone else try this?
      Nice day! John

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
        I will lay down a whole sheet of newspaper those times I look at the design and go ...ugh!! Skimming bad then, really messes the size up. For most purposes though I skim fine. What you can also do is lay strips around the edges while the paper is still down, quickly, and then remove them from exposed paint. Then skim, no color left to drag along.

        Iris Nevins
        marblingpaper.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
          Hi John,

          I'm curious, how large is your tank?  And what size do those napkins come in?

          Thanks,

          Mary

          ________________________________

        • fritzmiklaf@bezeqint.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2011
            Iris - Great videos and yes you should put up some more. Move the camera
            back a tiny bit if you can.

            John - I didn't see an answer about the size and type of the napkin. I don't
            understand what napkin means in this context - I only know the ones that
            come with meals. Don't you lose a lot of size by dropping something on the
            entire surface?

            Paper - My favourite is from Zerkall Renker in Germany. In the US it's
            called Nidiggan and is twice the size I get from Germany where it's called
            Antique Veined, wavy laid or some such. It's pricey but I love it. It also
            has a nice light brown colour that goes well with the old papers I deal with
            in binding.

            Colours - The colours that I liked best were those sold by Cockerel years
            ago but they are long gone. I found a set that my neighbour bought a long
            time ago and they are completely dried up. I put some water into one and put
            it into my ultrasonic cleaner and it came back to life. I am going to try it
            with some others that I have.

            Yehuda Miklaf

            Jerusalem

            <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...> fritzmiklaf@...

            <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/> www.yehudamiklaf.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2011
              Thanks Yehuda.... I am known as the world's worst photographer, so keeping that in mind. Yes in retrospect it was too close. You worry about losing detail. I need to figure the editing thing out too a bit better, or need a better program that the Windows Movie Maker. It is fun.

              Yes, times where I don't like a pattern I lay down a whole sheet of newspaper, and it does take lots of size with it. I find it easier to lay the paper, and if you want to pick up the excess paint around it, use newspaper strips. And they wonder why I don't recycle newspapers. My township actually once sent a letter saying I would get a fine if I don't do it!!!! I sent a pretty strong letter. The ones I don't use for marbling, I use for starter in my woodstove. I asked if it is illegal to use them that way too, and they said it may be in the future! And I live in the middle of nowhere! What seems to be the real issue... the township makes money by picking up and selling our recycling. The more they get, the more they make. That's another non-marbling issue!

              And by the way my eyes dried nicely. I am forever fine tuning it all. It was fun doing the videos, I'll get more up in a bit. I did also use Photo flo the other day. I'd use it if I had to, but you wait forever for it to expand with watercolor. Guess I work like a speed demon. Will try some other dispersants down the line.
              Iris Nevins
              marblingpaper.com

              <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...>> fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...>

              <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>> www.yehudamiklaf.com<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>