Back at it

  • fritzmiklaf@bezeqint.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
      It has been a long time since I did any serious marbling (25 years?) but my
      students have been bothering me to teach it, so I decided to try and get
      back into it. I turned off my phone and locked the door and spent a week
      playing around. A previous demo (see my blog) didn't work out very well, so
      I bought new colours and carrageenan and tried again. It took a few days to
      get everything working, but it finally did.

      Like with Iris, our water is very hard and I worried about that, but it
      didn't seem to bother the process.

      When I skimmed the size, there was a lot of something (colour, alum,
      whatever) leaking back onto the surface and leaving blanks on the new sheet.
      To stop this, I skimmed twice, leaving the second piece of newsprint on the
      edge of the bevel. This helped, but not 100%. Any suggestions?

      I had much better luck with stone patterns and not so much with combed until
      I remembered that I used to apply colours with a dropper rather than a
      whisk. There is a sample of what I got on my blog. www.yehudamiklaf.com

      Yehuda Miklaf

      Jerusalem

      <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...> fritzmiklaf@...

      <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/> www.yehudamiklaf.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
        Yes... I always first wet-tack a strip of newspaper to the edge. Your cleaning strips need to be Long enough that they can, with your fingers, glide them down the tray holding the paper against the side of the tray. What leaks back if I am not careful, is from the edges around where it meets the strip against the edge. Make sure to bring it ALL the way in and up to the first strip. That usually stops it.

        I may add, I tried marbling with a bit of borax last week, to see the difference, maybe I didn't use enough, but it certainly didn't preserve the size. I used about a 1/2 tsp. per half gallon of prepared size. No difference, in fact I think the hot tap water works better. Perhaps just what I am used to. I like my horribly hard water, have never had a problem. I have used distilled recently to see if the calcium in my hard water was compounding the alum issues, and it made no difference. I don't use it for making paint though just in case.

        Tomorrow... if all goes as planned, further tests with sunspots and using dish soap and photo flo. Just for fun.

        Iris Nevins
        marblingpaper.com
[...]

        whisk. There is a sample of what I got on my blog. www.yehudamiklaf.com<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>

        Yehuda Miklaf

        Jerusalem

        <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...>> fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...>

        <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>> www.yehudamiklaf.com<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>

      • John Goode
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
          HI
          When cleaning the size I use a napkin and cover the entire pool and pick up
          all the layers of top trash and have a fresh new size to color on.Why
          anyone would skim or drag the trash under the top is beyond me.Try this and
          let me know.I use a heavy napkin it costs 1 penny each but it picks up
          everything.Does anyone else try this?
          Nice day! John

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
            I will lay down a whole sheet of newspaper those times I look at the design and go ...ugh!! Skimming bad then, really messes the size up. For most purposes though I skim fine. What you can also do is lay strips around the edges while the paper is still down, quickly, and then remove them from exposed paint. Then skim, no color left to drag along.

            Iris Nevins
            marblingpaper.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011
              Hi John,

              I'm curious, how large is your tank?  And what size do those napkins come in?

              Thanks,

              Mary

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10, 2011
                Iris - Great videos and yes you should put up some more. Move the camera
                back a tiny bit if you can.

                John - I didn't see an answer about the size and type of the napkin. I don't
                understand what napkin means in this context - I only know the ones that
                come with meals. Don't you lose a lot of size by dropping something on the
                entire surface?

                Paper - My favourite is from Zerkall Renker in Germany. In the US it's
                called Nidiggan and is twice the size I get from Germany where it's called
                Antique Veined, wavy laid or some such. It's pricey but I love it. It also
                has a nice light brown colour that goes well with the old papers I deal with
                in binding.

                Colours - The colours that I liked best were those sold by Cockerel years
                ago but they are long gone. I found a set that my neighbour bought a long
                time ago and they are completely dried up. I put some water into one and put
                it into my ultrasonic cleaner and it came back to life. I am going to try it
                with some others that I have.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 10, 2011
                  Thanks Yehuda.... I am known as the world's worst photographer, so keeping that in mind. Yes in retrospect it was too close. You worry about losing detail. I need to figure the editing thing out too a bit better, or need a better program that the Windows Movie Maker. It is fun.

                  Yes, times where I don't like a pattern I lay down a whole sheet of newspaper, and it does take lots of size with it. I find it easier to lay the paper, and if you want to pick up the excess paint around it, use newspaper strips. And they wonder why I don't recycle newspapers. My township actually once sent a letter saying I would get a fine if I don't do it!!!! I sent a pretty strong letter. The ones I don't use for marbling, I use for starter in my woodstove. I asked if it is illegal to use them that way too, and they said it may be in the future! And I live in the middle of nowhere! What seems to be the real issue... the township makes money by picking up and selling our recycling. The more they get, the more they make. That's another non-marbling issue!

                  And by the way my eyes dried nicely. I am forever fine tuning it all. It was fun doing the videos, I'll get more up in a bit. I did also use Photo flo the other day. I'd use it if I had to, but you wait forever for it to expand with watercolor. Guess I work like a speed demon. Will try some other dispersants down the line.
                  Iris Nevins
                  marblingpaper.com