Re: [Marbling] Wood warping-need help

  • Roger Austin
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2011
      On 12/5/2011 11:07 AM, kathrynfanelli wrote:
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I"m new to this list and practice marbling on a lot of paper(s). I'm
      practicing on white pine mordanted w/alum, marbling w/acrylic but the
      wood pieces are warped. Any advice as to how to prevent this? My final
      pieces I want to be on Southern Yellow Pine which I've not tried yet.
      > Is this happening because white pine is so porus? I'm drawn to the
      yellow pine for the strong wood grain. Please offer thought, greatly
      appreciated. Kathy

      You don't say anything about how thick the white pine is. I assume
      it is very thin since it warped with a little water applied to it.
      If you dunk the board in water and keep it there, it will absorb it
      and perhaps warp. Applying the small amount for alum and then
      marbling shouldn't apply that much water to the wood. I have seen
      turned bowls marbled in buckets and they didn't warp at all.

      Yellow pine has a lot of natural resin. If it is air dried, it has done
      all the warping it is going to do. It probably wouldn't be a good
      choice to take the paints unless you top coat with something. You
      may want to spray fixative over the dried paint to make sure it
      doesn't rub off.

      Here is an article on marbling turned objects.
      <http://www.mceline-artisan.com/article.html>

      Good luck, Roger
      --
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/a4/60