Wood warping-need help

  • kathrynfanelli
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2011
      Hi folks,

      I"m new to this list and practice marbling on a lot of paper(s). I'm practicing on white pine mordanted w/alum, marbling w/acrylic but the wood pieces are warped. Any advice as to how to prevent this? My final pieces I want to be on Southern Yellow Pine which I've not tried yet.
      Is this happening because white pine is so porus? I'm drawn to the yellow pine for the strong wood grain. Please offer thought, greatly appreciated.
      Kathy
    • Roger Austin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2011
        On 12/5/2011 11:07 AM, kathrynfanelli wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I"m new to this list and practice marbling on a lot of paper(s). I'm
        practicing on white pine mordanted w/alum, marbling w/acrylic but the
        wood pieces are warped. Any advice as to how to prevent this? My final
        pieces I want to be on Southern Yellow Pine which I've not tried yet.
        > Is this happening because white pine is so porus? I'm drawn to the
        yellow pine for the strong wood grain. Please offer thought, greatly
        appreciated. Kathy

        You don't say anything about how thick the white pine is. I assume
        it is very thin since it warped with a little water applied to it.
        If you dunk the board in water and keep it there, it will absorb it
        and perhaps warp. Applying the small amount for alum and then
        marbling shouldn't apply that much water to the wood. I have seen
        turned bowls marbled in buckets and they didn't warp at all.

        Yellow pine has a lot of natural resin. If it is air dried, it has done
        all the warping it is going to do. It probably wouldn't be a good
        choice to take the paints unless you top coat with something. You
        may want to spray fixative over the dried paint to make sure it
        doesn't rub off.

        Here is an article on marbling turned objects.
        <http://www.mceline-artisan.com/article.html>

        Good luck, Roger
        --
        LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/a4/60