Dish-washing liquid as dispersant

  • marbler
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2011
      When you have no the proper dispersant,you can use water diluted dish-washing liquid. Good Day ! - Ky Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2011
        Yes, but buy the cheapest, the "good" ones are loaded with perfumes and additives, and they often cause unwanted clumps in the paints.
        Iris Nevins
        marblingpaper.com
        When you have no the proper dispersant,you can use water diluted dish-washing liquid. Good Day ! - Ky Lee

      • kathryn fanelli
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2011
          Hi Ky Lee,

          I've never used dishwashing liquid in place of the flow release, I suppose you could try something fragrance free and see what happens.

          Kathryn

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
            It does work, absolutely. I find with any detergent, even the Photo-Flo, that spread time takes longer. I am a speed demon, and impatient, so prefer ox-gall, but if you are out of gall, it works. Dilute it though, one drop is way stronger than gall.

            There are brands that are "organic" or whatever, I just picked one up but haven't tried it. I suspect it will have that lag time in spreading the color though. If you can't find it, just use what you have, fragrance, colors or not. It will work. The worst that happens is that you may get some unwanted effects, and have to skim the size a little extra. No need to worry so much about marbling, maybe what you have will work. I have been chewed out by numerous marblers over the years who say "YOU CANNOT MARBLE LIKE THAT!!!". Yet I do and feel one doesn't have to be so fastidious and worried as people seem to be. It make marbling more relaxing. I just try anything and everything, including many shortcuts to the same ends. If there is dye and fragrance, it may or may not bother things. One that worked for me but it was discontinued was A&P green dishwashing liquid, fragrance color and all. No bad effects. So you don't have to seek out the highest grade organic castile soap necessarily, or flow release things that may be overpriced detergent in a pretty bottle. It's been one of the great benefits of not ever being taught to marble. Hard water is another example, what the water was never made a difference much, not that can't be adapted to by using a little more carrageenan powder. One can collect soft rain water and there is some mystique to that but it didn't work for me any better than the hard tap water. Nor did distilled or spring water in bottles. I always thought... use what's close at hand and keep life simple. If that doesn't work, then go try something else.

            I'd like to fine one detergent without the lag time, ox gall is so expensive. Unless you get it yourself and process it. I prefer not to! Been there, done that. A little will last a long time though.

            Iris Nevins
            marblingpaper.com
            I've never used dishwashing liquid in place of the flow release, I suppose you could try something fragrance free and see what happens.

            Kathryn

            When you have no the proper dispersant,you can use water diluted dish-washing liquid. Good Day ! - Ky Lee

          • KyL
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
              Hi, Kathryn,
              I use the Kodak, Photo-flu because no smell at all and very strong.
              I suggest to use dish-washer liquid becasue Photo-flo bottle too much quantity
              to the beginer for just trial.