Methyl Cel vs Carragheenan

  • Milena Hughes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2001
      Linda:  Do you like burlap or silk underwear?  That is the difference between methyl cel and carragheenan.  Unfortunately the carr. will be twice as expensive as mc, but certainly worth it.  Current books on marbling (Diane Maurer-Mathison's and Schleicher & Schleicher) have suppliers listed in the back).  Why are you using "rice" paper????   There are thousand of other lovelies out there.  -Milena
      (p.s.) Did you know there is no such thing as rice paper as it is not made from rice...perhaps "Japanese" papers would be a proper name?

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2001
        Right on Milena.......No one likes burlap underwear! I never heard the
        difference between carrageenan and methyl cel put into such precisely
        accurate terms! I laughed for ten minutes.

        You get a so much finer end result with the carrageenan, and yes it spoils
        after a few days, but I only mix up as much as I need per day. A pound of
        the carrageenan is not gone through very quickly for most marblers. I can
        marble at least 400-500 standard size sheets to the pound, possibly more,
        never really counted, but I know if I do several hundred+, per week it
        takes me at least two weeks to go through a pound, and then with some left
        over. If you do the math it's not that expensive per sheet, and well worth
        the extra expense results-wise.

        Better to save money by not buying papers from art stores like rice papers
        or expensive art papers. You can get Classic Laid or Classic Linen and many
        other great papers in 70lb.text weight from your local paper suppliers that
        sell to printers. You have to take a carton of 1000 sheets generally, but
        it is really inexpensive per sheet. If you buy in bulk it gets even
        cheaper....it may work out to 25cenys per sheet. It is great for marbling
        and is acid free. I have been using these for over 23 years now. They work
        better than the fancy pricey stuff for me and look better anyway because of
        the tight weave.

        i.