Fw: [Marbling] methyl cel/carag supplies

  • Linda Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2001

      From: Linda Johnson
      Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 2:24 PM
      To: marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Marbling] methyl cel/carag supplies

      I will be a newbie to fabric marbling and have done some work with paper.  I need to get a list of suppliers and to understand why I should use the carrageenan instead of the methyl cel.  Methyl Cel from Pro Chemical is around $10.00 a pound and the carrageenan I have seen is much more expensive.  I have tried the Marblethix from Delta and was very disappointed- I had to use 3 to 4 times the amount they said I should - even with their "corrected instructions" (I used distilled water and beat the stuff up with an electric mixer and let it stand for a day- still not thick enough - and not cheap).
      I have been buying a lot of other art supplies from Mr. Art.com- the cheapest I've found so far for general stuff- silk from Dharma Trading-where do I get my marbling rice paper and thickener? Thanks, Linda

    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2001

        Dear Linda,

        If you decide to try methyl cellulose you can check out Earth Guild in Asheville, NC (800-EARTH-GU).  They carry a reliable source and also sell a kit including Golden Paints.  If using Golden you will want to also get their fabric medium, GAC 900.  Some acrylics work better on carragheenan, but I have been able to get excellent results with MC and Golden.  Any of them take practice.  Finding satisfactory materials is like meeting people...some you want to get to know better and others aren't worth your time.  Research and Development is just part of the marbling process.  It is deceiving in that it looks easy, as if it should always work.  Balance and harmony of variables is the key.

        Best,

        Laura Sims, Indigo Stone Marbling Studio