Photographic wetting agent on watercolours

  • anthonianthonianthoni
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
      Dear mablers:
      Does anyone have any experience of using photographic wetting agent on watercolours? I know a diluted form of the thing has been used on acrylics before, so perhaps a very diluted form would serve as ox-gall?

      Regards:
      Anthony
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
        Yes. I have used a few drops of Photo-Flo in 1/4 cup or so of water. As always, I take no note nor measure. I use this as I would gall, drop by drop. It works fine but spreads each color a little slower than gall would. It's basically a detergent, and you can use dish soap in the same way, but the soap often has perfumes and additives that create strange little things in the colors sometimes. The first time I tried dish soap it was when I spilled all my gall and had to do something. The old Ivory Soap slogan "so pure it floats" came to mind, so I tried it with liquid dish soap. It was a lucky guess, I was only marbling a few years at the time, but had an order and was able to continue. I like the gall a little better, because I like to work fast, and the Photo-Flo you have to give the color a few more seconds to spread. It's a close second though, not bad at all.

        Iris Nevins
        marblingpaper.com
        Does anyone have any experience of using photographic wetting agent on watercolours? I know a diluted form of the thing has been used on acrylics before, so perhaps a very diluted form would serve as ox-gall?

        Regards:
        Anthony

      • KyL
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
          Hi, Anthony,
          By my experience, the photogrqaphic agent is much better than ox-gall.
          the agent(for ex.: Kodak "Phto-flo") is very strong, no oder, long time preservativ in room temperature,
          any kind of paintings, .....

          Regards:
          Ky Lee

          Does anyone have any experience of using photographic wetting agent on watercolours? I know a diluted form of the thing has been used on acrylics before, so perhaps a very diluted form would serve as ox-gall?

          Regards:
          Anthony

        • kathryn fanelli
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2011
            Golden makes a product called flow release that acts as a dispersant. I use it to stain paint. In marbling it works extremely fast, too fast if not diluted properly.

            Kathy