methyl cel/carag supplies

  • Linda Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2001
      I will be a newbie to fabric marbling and have done some work with paper.  I need to get a list of suppliers and to understand why I should use the carrageenan instead of the methyl cel.  Methyl Cel from Pro Chemical is around $10.00 a pound and the carrageenan I have seen is much more expensive.  I have tried the Marblethix from Delta and was very disappointed- I had to use 3 to 4 times the amount they said I should - even with their "corrected instructions" (I used distilled water and beat the stuff up with an electric mixer and let it stand for a day- still not thick enough - and not cheap).
      I have been buying a lot of other art supplies from Mr. Art.com- the cheapest I've found so far for general stuff- silk from Dharma Trading-where do I get my marbling rice paper and thickener? Thanks, Linda

    • sglenn@ctesc.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2001
        --- In Marbling@y..., "Linda Johnson" <edenhome@h...> wrote:
        > I will be a newbie to fabric marbling and have done some work with
        paper. I need to get a list of suppliers and to understand why I
        should use the carrageenan instead of the methyl cel. Methyl Cel
        from Pro Chemical is around $10.00 a pound and the carrageenan I have
        seen is much more expensive. I have tried the Marblethix from Delta
        and was very disappointed- I had to use 3 to 4 times the amount they
        said I should - even with their "corrected instructions" (I used
        distilled water and beat the stuff up with an electric mixer and let
        it stand for a day- still not thick enough - and not cheap).
        > I have been buying a lot of other art supplies from Mr. Art.com-
        the cheapest I've found so far for general stuff- silk from Dharma
        Trading-where do I get my marbling rice paper and thickener? Thanks,
        LindaGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
        http://explorer.msn.com

        Hi Linda, I have been marbling on fabric for about a year. I use the
        methyl cel from Pro Chemical. It works very well for me. I have tried
        carrageenan, & frankly I'm very happy with the methyl cel. I can
        study my designs with a magnifying glass & the line detail is
        excellent as long as my paint mix formula is good. If your lines are
        breaking & giving you poor detail, look to your paint mix formula
        (I'm using acrylics on fabric).

        I use 1/4 cup methyl cel to 1 gallon water, stir with a large whisk
        for 5 minutes, then add 4 teaspoons of ammonia, stir for 5 minutes
        with the whisk, then add 4 teaspoons of 5% white vinegar, stir it in
        for a minute. Beware of old ammonia; evidently it loses its punch and
        the resulting size won't thicken correctly. Don't skimp on the
        stirring time; if the methy cel sinks to the bottom, you'll have a
        gelled mass on the bottom. My water is really hard (alkaline) and
        seems to make great size. If your water is on the acid side, it could
        be causing problems. I'm in Texas so the weather here is very hot a
        lot of the time. If I can get my studio down to 75 degrees with a 70%
        humidity I'm doing good. My methyl cel size holds up for a week to 10
        days for me. After that, it gets on the thin side & I make up fresh.

        Susa Glenn
      • sglenn@ctesc.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2001
          Oh rats, I left some things out! Here, let me add to this.

          > Hi Linda, I have been marbling on fabric for about a year. I use
          the
          > methyl cel from Pro Chemical. It works very well for me. I have
          tried
          > carrageenan, & frankly I'm very happy with the methyl cel. I can
          > study my designs with a magnifying glass & the line detail is
          > excellent as long as my paint mix formula is good. If your lines
          are
          > breaking & giving you poor detail, look to your paint mix formula
          > (I'm using acrylics on fabric).
          >
          > I use 1/4 cup methyl cel to 1 gallon water, stir with a large whisk
          > for 5 minutes, then add 4 teaspoons of ammonia, stir for 5 minutes
          > with the whisk,

          wait 30 minutes,

          then add 4 teaspoons of 5% white vinegar, stir it in
          > for a minute.

          Let mix rest for at least an hour, overnight is better.