New observations on the " tiger eye "

  • anthonianthonianthoni
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
      Dear marblers:
      I have been lately experimenting with formulae for the " tiger eye" pattern.
      I have achieved some success with the following formula

      Lye water- As much as you intend to make paint
      bicarb. Of soda - enough to render the former into a paste.
      Lampblack, enough to colour mix
      , ox gall - as the circumstances dictate

      The pattern produces some very handsome rays, ( I will upload pics of them tomorrow ), but the central spots are so delicate , they usually do not survive the act of lifting them off the bath!
      Any comments, advice?
      Regards,
      Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
        way way back, I took some fireplace ashes and mixed them with black watercolor, set it out overnight and got some interesting eye like effects.
        I wonder if you can make lye water using a drip coffee pot... ashes in the basket, then as if making coffee. I'll try it.

        If I use pure potash, my eyes do that same thing, run off. If I use the down and dirty gardening stuff that looks like dirty rock salt and pulverize it, I have no problem. My eyes are a bit different than other people's but I like them.

        Maybe you don't have enough pigment/paint, too much other things? Sometimes if I water them down and go for smaller spots, they adhere to paper better.
        IrisNevins
        marblingpaper.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
          I have uploaded some pics of the "tiger-eye "that I made. what do you think of them?

          > way way back, I took some fireplace ashes and mixed them with black watercolor, set it out overnight and got some interesting eye like effects.
          > I wonder if you can make lye water using a drip coffee pot... ashes in the basket, then as if making coffee. I'll try it.
          >
          > If I use pure potash, my eyes do that same thing, run off. If I use the down and dirty gardening stuff that looks like dirty rock salt and pulverize it, I have no problem. My eyes are a bit different than other people's but I like them.
          >
          > Maybe you don't have enough pigment/paint, too much other things? Sometimes if I water them down and go for smaller spots, they adhere to paper better.
          > IrisNevins
          > marblingpaper.com

        • anthonianthonianthoni
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2011
            here are further pics of the pattern produced by the mix outlined below, + a little water. I have been more successfull this time: the central spots did not wash off.

            I also did one with a green background.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2011
              Nice... watering them down makes them lighter weight, so more pigment stays afloat. when I do my eyes, I say they sometimes "cry", and in run like crying with mascara on! I wipe them away with a finger if small or you can blot them with a soft paper towel.

              I dripped through the coffee pot, with ashes from my woodstove, and got clearish hot water. So I just mixed up all the ask in a jar with the water. I keep shaking it. I'll strain and use next time I do eyes, looking a bit iffy this week though. I think it will essentially be a weak lye water, but we'll find out. Baking soda alone gives some interesting effects! Not really eyes. I think Mimi Schleicher did something with egg white and baking soda a long time back, that gave a kind of pansy pattern to the color drop. I don't remember any proportions. It's fun playing with additives.

              I used, maybe going on 20 years back, the ashes mixed right in with the paint. It tried to do eyes but I think more ash was needed. I'll try with my ash water, and won't have ash particle in it. I do love my gardening potash though. Pretty reliable, but the eyes differ from one time to the next, though not a lot. For whatever reason the pure potash from a chemical supply my centers wash off no matter what. Could be in the way I make my paints most likely.

              Iris Nevins
              marblingpaper.com