gathering in Xinjiang

  • leech541@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2001
      Dear Marblers,

      Word may have reached you thru the grapevine of an upcoming Marbler's
      Gathering in Urumqi, Xinjiang, China - presently scheduled for August 12 -
      18, 2001. This is being organized by our friend Oguzhan Tugrul (who many of
      you know as "Oz", from the Marblers Gathering in Istanbul in '97).

      Oz has family ties in Xinjiang, and has been working for a number of years to
      introduce (or reintroduce) marbling and papermaking to this area that is so
      important to the history of our craft.

      Understanding that it may be rather late for many of you to make travel
      plans, Oz has suggested that artists may wish to send a piece that would be
      included in an exhibition, and then to become part of a permanent Ebru
      collection at the museum in Urumqi. If you would like to be participate,
      please send your piece to:

      Tom Leech at the Smokebrush Press
      235 S. Nevada Ave
      Colorado Springs, CO 80903

      I will need to receive the work (unframed please) by July 15. Oz says that
      the "official color" of the gathering is turquoise, so pieces using that
      color would be greatly appreciated (though not necessary).

      I realize that this is short notice, but your help and good wishes will do
      alot for marbling and for the artists and people of this remote region.

      And just a few other things to mention about the gathering, should you be
      lucky enough to attend. There will be a great tour of papermaking sites along
      the Silk Road at Turfan and Kashgar. Papermakers from Hotan have also been
      invited. For more specific information, reach Oz by email through:
      okehri@...
      or by telephone at 90-212-635-1645 (if you are calling from the US, the
      number is preceeded by 011).

      Should I hear of any changes in the schedule I will post them.

      Thanks, and best regards to marblers everywhere,
      tom
    • Ginny L. Kilander
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2001
        Dear Tom,

        Thanks so much for the invitation to participate in the exhibition.
        I had a few questions regarding submissions:
        You indicated unframed pieces were to be submitted. Should these pieces
        also be without mats?
        Is there a size preference?
        What information (if any) about the artist, medium, techniques, etc. is
        required?

        Thanks so much.

        Also, do you know where I might go to learn more about the exhibition and
        the museum? (For instance a source where I might be able to print/procure a
        flyer, program or exhibition announcement?)

        Thanks for all of your assistance. I truly appreciate your help. Although
        I won't have to time to produce a new piece for the exhibition, I will see
        if I have an existing piece which may be suitable for submission.

        Thanks again,

        Ginny Kilander
        papyrus@...