combs and other things

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2011
      I don't know about youor part of the country or the world, but here I use
      signboard for a lot of things - to keep the dust off the tank overnight and
      to make quick and easy combs. What I am calling "signboartd" is a plastic,
      channeled board, that the signmakers here use for political and other
      signs, then when the season is over, they throw them away, or I have also
      asked for ruined ones at the sign makers - where something was mis spelled
      or had the wrong date, etc.

      The have channels that run the length of the pice and if you cut it
      crosswise, to about 1 or 2" inches in width, you can insert curler pins or
      toothpicks or nails in the channels in your desired position, then tape the
      top with packing or duct tape to keep the pins in place and make it
      waterproof.

      Iris didn't say so, but she used to sell an agate burnishing tool, which
      she may still have available.
      Galen Berry sells ready made ones in various sizes, which I believe is done
      by disadvantaged workers. They are very sturdy and you can order them to
      specific sizes.

      Here is the link: http://marbleart.us/MarblingSupplies.htm or you can
      look at how they are made if you want to do your own.

      Someone I was talking to makes their combs in unconventional patterns, like
      1 skip 2, or 1 skip 3, etc.

      The same person also described a method of using a turkey baster to get an
      interesting effect, which I have not as yet mastered. I don't know if
      anyone else has tried this. It's similar to the chinese effect of painting
      goldfish by loading your brush w ith 3 colors. You suck up 3 different
      colors in turn into the turkey baster without mixing them, then gently
      squeeze them out in the tray, forming uniques patterns.

      Also, I would like to know if anyone else has an answer for my other
      ongoing problem when I'm doing scarves. For the larger or longer ones, I
      have to have a human helper for the other end. For the smaller ones, I
      made a mechanical helper, that sticks up like a squared off "U" over my
      tank with two clamps around it. I clamp one end of the scarf to the
      helper, throw it around my neck to keep it up until I am ready, then lay
      the farther end down and quicly unclamp the other end to lay it down. If I
      take too long to do this, the scrf starts to immediately slide down to the
      other end of the tank and/or I will get a "hesitation" mark where it makes
      a slight fold when I am laying it down.

      This is where I got the idea from:

      You can see the helper in the third picture. Does anyone else have another
      idea for a "helper" oither than human. I can't always depend on my friends
      to help me when I need it.
      Thanks
      Sue