Schroetel/Schrottel pattern:

  • anthonianthonianthoni
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2011
      Dear marblers:
      I have heard about this rather curious pattern called the Schrottel.
      There is very little info about how it is made. The only souurce is muria, who provides instructions about throwing on a mix of gall & oil .

      I have a few questions about this:
      I)what sort of oil is used?
      II) if so,how much oil is used?
      Any information/advice greatly appreceated
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 16, 2011
        I have gotten some pretty close ones with my gardening potash. The cheap junk that looks like dirty rock salt. I pulverize in a mortar & pestle, about a TBS. to a cup of black paint (I do use lamp black but every other pigment I tried has worked). Then I just start throwing down the black spots with a whisk. it develops into a pretty good Schrottel. I don't know if I have any samples. If I find any, will post them.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2011
          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 16, 2011
            Perhaps someone has a contact for Mr. Miura and you could ask him directly?
            Mary

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2011
              This goes by memory, as I moved shop and my archive is boxed up, I
              have marbled for the last 35 years,(french and german trained (duval)
              usually correct 15 ct. patterns as that is what i need for my own work
              The correct name in german is scrotel, you lay down a 3 color
              range and than add a 4th color with enough oxgall added to reduce the
              first 3 to veins, lastly, you just sprinkle a dark pigment with just
              enough oxgall so it works, but it can't expand, it has to stay as dots.

              Krause Intaglio
              Printmaking and Letterpress in the digital Age
              310.217.0400
              www.KrauseIntaglio.com
              www.Handpresse.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2011