Re: [Marbling] Tiger eye revisited:

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2011
      I would use in paint form, but keeping in mind that not all marbling paints react the same because there is no one generic watercolor, marbling or gouache paint formula. For example, my paints don't work right with regular pure potash, but I get a good result with the dirty looking gardening potash, ground up and added to pretty much any color. I use about a TBS. of that to a cup of water, but as usual with the marbling, the weather may make those amounts uncooperative at times. Very! Sometimes more is needed, sometimes less. It may inspire me to go pick up some gouache to compare, but I so worry about how they are so inconsistent on the amount of dispersant used from batch to batch. Acrylics work GREAT with the gardening potash, but again, brand to brand will differ in their formulation. I usually use the cheap stuff from the big craft stores or Walmart, either Ceram-Coat or Folk Art. Not all colors/pigments work with marbling well, so I find a basic red, yellow, blue, black, white, that work and mix from them. I don't do much acrylic marbling however.

      I had thought about offering for sale a pre-mixed tiger eye paint, but it changes too much, it needs to be done on the spot I think. I saved bottles of it, and it works differently each time. Best is to experiment with what you normally use, and take it from there. I even long ago got some interesting results mixing wood stove ask with the black paint, but needed quite a lot. Try anything!