Re: [Marbling] to Rinse or not to Rinse...

  • Barb Skoog
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2011
      Hi Forest,

      First of all...congrats on your first marbling journey! I hope you find your marbling experience to be as rewarding and energizing as I have. That being said, welcome to the world of total chaos! What worked last time, last hour, and even last minute, can now be tossed out the window. Every second is a new beginning. Just get used to that and you'll be in heaven.

      I have taken two classes from incredibly talented marbling artists and both approached rinsing differently. My first teacher rinsed everything right away. My second teacher let papers sit a while (anywhere from five to 20 minutes!)and then rinsed. My experience has been that both ways worked (I've been marbling for about two years now). When I'm in my own studio and marbling on my Arches paper, I can rinse right away. When I'm on certain Canson papers, I have to let it sit. I've recently started marbling on canvas and found that letting it totally dry first and then rinsing is the only way to go (for now). So it is just a matter of trial and error, which is par for the course in marbling. Test, test, test, and trust your instinct. In the end, however, I believe you must at some point rinse off the excess carrageenan or something happens to the paper.

      Best of luck with your marbling and have fun experimenting!
      Barb

    • fritzmiklaf@bezeqint.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
        Hi Iris

        This is funny because when Don Guyot gave his first workshop in Toronto (too
        long ago to remember) he thought the water from Shelagh's house was great.
        It turned out that she had a water softener that was some sort of salt
        process that I don't understand.

        Our water in Jerusalem is really hard and Ph7 which is great for washing
        paper, but I am fearful about using it for marbling. I should explain that I
        am about to get back into marbling after years of neglect. I am doing a
        'semi-retirement' from binding so that I can print and marble again. I was
        thinking of installing a water softener, but maybe I'll experiment first and
        then maybe try distilled.

        Thanks for your input.

        Yehuda

        Yehuda Miklaf

        Jerusalem

        <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...> fritzmiklaf@...

        <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/> www.yehudamiklaf.com

      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
          Hi!
          I have a water softener in my home, and use softened water; I marble with methylcel and Goldens and other craft paints and have no issues except that the pH of my water is often 6 or a little lower, so I put in a little more ammonia when mixing the M/C.
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
            I recall Don saying reverse osmosis systems were OK, if I am correct. Don, are you on this group? I think not, but just in case, maybe you recall the water issue. I always thought NYC tap water divine, but had to use less size powder that in my area.

            Yehuda... I'd just try the tap water, it may be perfect. If it's not, please keep in mind it may not be the water, but the buffering issues on the papers.

            Iris Nevins
            www.mqrblingpaper.com<http://www.mqrblingpaper.com/>

            <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...>> fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...>

            <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>> www.yehudamiklaf.com<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
              I imagine it varies from one paint maker or method to another. So do what works. Water softeners don't like my paints one bit! It's not a drastic difference, but enough to be annoying when you know the paper would be better with other water.

              One thing, and maybe it relates more to acrylics, and I don't pretend to know everything about marbling....but why exactly is the PH and issue. I never heard a thing about it until people marbling with acrylics on MC size. Will test mine out of curiosity... or maybe just add ammonia for the fun of it in a test tray. I will be using watercolors. Try everything is my motto, sometimes it works.

              Is there a drastic difference in the end result with the ammonia or raising or lowering the PH? I tend not to mess with what works, and what I do with hard water, it works fine. The real problem has been paper. If there is something to tweak to make buffered papers perhaps take the color, I am ready to try anything. So what happens if you do not add the ammonia Caryl? Curious.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
                Hi, Iris and all,

                The ammonia has to do only with the use of methylcel, which does not actually dissolve, but swells, and it needs a higher pH to do that. Most recipes for using M/C include some quantity of ammonia (clear, unscented, non-sudzing) - 1 tsp to 1 TBSP/gallon, added after the M/C has had a brief chance to be stirred to disperse in the water. For me, that is usually a couple of minutes, despite the recipe suggesting to wait several minutes to 1/2 hour.

                Without adding the ammonia, the M/C will form gelatinous clumps or a huge mass (think Jello!) on the bottom of the bucket, which no amount of stirring, blending, pushing through a sieve, or even adding the ammonia then, etc., will disperse (learned that lesson the hard way!). I did get one M/C supplier to finally acknowledge that insufficient ammonia was the culprit in the mess, and very early on in my experience, when that happened to me, another supplier suggested that I had "old" ammonia. While I don't usually test my water pH each time I make a batch of size, I also usually err on the side of adding an extra small splash of ammonia. I try to aim for a pH of about 8 in the water for mixing the M/C. And what often happens by the time the M/C has aged, the pH has returned to about 7 or neutral; I figure that is because the ammonia (NH4OH) has "separated," and the ammonia has dispersed into the air and the OH- has joined its companions in the bucket of water. Please keep in mind that my high school and college chemistry was very long ago!

                I hope that helps!

                Caryl in Indiana

                www.marblingpaper.com<;http://www.marblingpaper.com/>

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 15, 2011
                  Interesting, thanks. I have used MC and just followed the recipe with ammonia and never questioned. It worked but I like carrageenan better. I just make what I need for the day and don't store it. Now I am curious as to what ammonia may do to carrageenan, if anything. Always experimenting.

                  www.marblingpaper.com<;http://www.marblingpaper.com/<http://www.marblingpaper.com%3c;http//www.marblingpaper.com/>>

                  <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...%3Cmailto:fritzmiklaf@...>>> fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...<mailto:fritzmiklaf@...%3Cmailto:fritzmiklaf@...>>

                  <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/%3Chttp://www.yehudamiklaf.com/>>> www.yehudamiklaf.com<;http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/<http://www.yehudamiklaf.com%3c;http//www.yehudamiklaf.com/>>