marbling predates paper

  • irisnevins@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2001
      For some spectacular marbling which predates paper (allegedly 105AD
      in China, and earliest known marbled paper about 700AD,China)have a
      peek at these wonderful ancient Greek Core Glass Vessels. They date
      back to the 5th century BC.

      Here are the links:
      http://edgarlowen.com/b5901
      http://edgarlowen.com/b1682
      http://edgarlowen.com/b4258
      http://edgarlowen.com/b2928

      These are, by the way, for sale currently. If anyone is interested
      they are available through: http://edgarlowen.com True museum
      quality pieces, some are expensive, but also a great investment. But
      mainly they are here to be visually enjoyed by those of you
      interested in the history of marbled patterns. I find these
      fascinating. I first saw similar items at the Newark Museum in the
      antiquities section.

      I.Nevins
    • John Ang Cheng Siew
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2001
        Dear Iris,

        I think the links are missing the file extensions jpg. Here they are

        <http://edgarlowen.com/b5901.jpg>
        <http://edgarlowen.com/b1682.jpg>
        <http://edgarlowen.com/b4258.jpg>
        <http://edgarlowen.com/b2928.jpg>

        Anyway interesting pieces. While in China, I also bought some pieces of egg
        shape glass with non pareil marble pattern on them but they are just
        tourist souveniers.

        >For some spectacular marbling which predates paper (allegedly 105AD
        >in China, and earliest known marbled paper about 700AD,China)have a
        >peek at these wonderful ancient Greek Core Glass Vessels. They date
        >back to the 5th century BC.
        >
        >Here are the links:
        >http://edgarlowen.com/b5901
        >http://edgarlowen.com/b1682
        >http://edgarlowen.com/b4258
        >http://edgarlowen.com/b2928

        :)

        John Ang Cheng Siew
        My Paper Marbling Website: <home3.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs>
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2001
          Thanks John......I did leave out the jpg! These are really nice!
          Iris