question about methocel longevity

  • Deluwiel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2 6:41 AM
      I'm marbling on scarves with Golden acrylics on methocel size, would like to experiment with drops of dispersant to punch holes and push veins together to get some different looks, but I wonder if by doing this I would contaminate my size too quickly? I'm working in a tank that's about 20"W x 74" L filled with size to about 1-1/2" deep. Thanks for any tips!
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2 7:10 AM
        I would well dilute the dispersant, make smaller holes, build up gradually if you want them larger. I do this all the time with carrageenan size and my own brand watercolor, and use mainly, when using acrylics, the cheap stuff from Walmart, big craft stores, either Ceram-Coat or Folk Craft (I think it's Folk Craft or Folk Art...right now from here am not recalling! I rarely use acrylic, only for fabric). If you get contamination, do several repeat cleanings every few times.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3 1:05 PM
          Hi!
          My solution to that is to skim the size very well between each print to remove the contamination. I use whole sheets of newspaper laid on the size to clean it, and drag it over the side of the tray (much like the Turkish artists do) to keep excess size in the tray. If the paint is really misbehaving, (usual culprit is magenta that looks "clumpy"), I may skim it twice. I have had students that literally flooded the tray with dispersant (I usually use Photo-flo) and the paint would not float - again, multiple cleanings as described above took care of the issue.
          HTH!
          Caryl Hancock