Re: Marbling Journals

  • jemiljan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
      Barb, There appears to be a complete run of Ink & Gall, as well as the
      newsletters, at the UCLA library
      <http://catalog.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SA=Mar\
      bling%20%28Bookbinding%29%20Periodicals.&PID=AJ09akt5ecJ6deBAtqYFX6M-0&B\
      ROWSE=1&HC=2&SID=2> , and another at USC
      <http://towsonuniversity.worldcat.org/wcpa/oclc/15793247?page=frame&url=\
      http%3A%2F%2Flibrary.usc.edu%2Fuhtbin%2Fcgisirsi%2FX%2F0%2F0%2F5%3Fsearc\
      hdata1%3D0894-0479%26checksum%3D103e9d29ae91dcf8109184bd780c9f2d&title=U\
      niversity+of+Southern+California&linktype=opac&detail=CSL%3AUniversity+o\
      f+Southern+California%3AARL+Library> . Both are in the Rare Book
      collections, so you will have to write to them and set up an
      appointment.

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Barb" <blskoog@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I'm a newbie to marbling with just a year under my belt (my initial
      learning was under Tom Leech). I have become addicted, of course, to the
      practice, but I am also finding the history, specifically recent history
      (the last 20 years or so) fascinating. I know there was the Ink & Gall
      marbling journal out there for a while and I'd love to read any of them.
      If anyone has any that they want to get rid of or would loan to me (I
      would happily return them to you in excellent condition), please let me
      know. Even if you can send me a photocopy or email a scanned version, I
      would really appreciate it. I also believe there was another journal at
      one point called Marblers Bath (or something like that) and would also
      be interested in reading that.

      > Please contact me at blskoog@... if we can arrange something.
      >
      > One last thing: I live in Los Angeles. If you're a marbler in Southern
      California, feel free to contact me as well. I have my own marbling
      studio and I would really enjoy connecting with someone local, swapping
      stories, and sharing insights and learnings.

      > Many thanks,
      > Barb

    • jemiljan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
        Sorry, I used the wrong link in my last post for the collection at USC. Here is the correct one:

        http://library.usc.edu/uhtbin/cgisirsi/ojM93antKW/DOHENY/107090166/18/X650/XSUBJECT/Marbling+%28Bookbinding%29+Periodicals.

        That said, it looks at though the collection at UCLA is far more comprehensive than the one at USC, so it's probably worth making the trip there:

        http://catalog.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SEQ=20110702092324&PID=3JL70gXl2FG-0vgaHuM-gPvRF&SA=Marbled+paper.

        Jake