Marbling Journals

  • Barb
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm a newbie to marbling with just a year under my belt (my initial learning was under Tom Leech). I have become addicted, of course, to the practice, but I am also finding the history, specifically recent history (the last 20 years or so) fascinating. I know there was the Ink & Gall marbling journal out there for a while and I'd love to read any of them. If anyone has any that they want to get rid of or would loan to me (I would happily return them to you in excellent condition), please let me know. Even if you can send me a photocopy or email a scanned version, I would really appreciate it. I also believe there was another journal at one point called Marblers Bath (or something like that) and would also be interested in reading that.

      Please contact me at blskoog@... if we can arrange something.

      One last thing: I live in Los Angeles. If you're a marbler in Southern California, feel free to contact me as well. I have my own marbling studio and I would really enjoy connecting with someone local, swapping stories, and sharing insights and learnings.

      Many thanks,
      Barb
    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi, Barb,

        If you are ever in Chicago, I know that the Newberry Library has a set of the Ink and Gall, courtesy of Milena Hughes.
        While that might not help much, you might try paper museums, or libraries in your area that might have such a special interest. Also, you might try the Denver Public Library (closer than Chicago) - I know they have a huge collection of books dealing with the paper arts.

        Best wishes!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
          Barb, There appears to be a complete run of Ink & Gall, as well as the
          newsletters, at the UCLA library
          <http://catalog.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SA=Mar\
          bling%20%28Bookbinding%29%20Periodicals.&PID=AJ09akt5ecJ6deBAtqYFX6M-0&B\
          ROWSE=1&HC=2&SID=2> , and another at USC
          <http://towsonuniversity.worldcat.org/wcpa/oclc/15793247?page=frame&url=\
          http%3A%2F%2Flibrary.usc.edu%2Fuhtbin%2Fcgisirsi%2FX%2F0%2F0%2F5%3Fsearc\
          hdata1%3D0894-0479%26checksum%3D103e9d29ae91dcf8109184bd780c9f2d&title=U\
          niversity+of+Southern+California&linktype=opac&detail=CSL%3AUniversity+o\
          f+Southern+California%3AARL+Library> . Both are in the Rare Book
          collections, so you will have to write to them and set up an
          appointment.

          Jake Benson

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Barb" <blskoog@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I'm a newbie to marbling with just a year under my belt (my initial
          learning was under Tom Leech). I have become addicted, of course, to the
          practice, but I am also finding the history, specifically recent history
          (the last 20 years or so) fascinating. I know there was the Ink & Gall
          marbling journal out there for a while and I'd love to read any of them.
          If anyone has any that they want to get rid of or would loan to me (I
          would happily return them to you in excellent condition), please let me
          know. Even if you can send me a photocopy or email a scanned version, I
          would really appreciate it. I also believe there was another journal at
          one point called Marblers Bath (or something like that) and would also
          be interested in reading that.

          > Please contact me at blskoog@... if we can arrange something.
          >
          > One last thing: I live in Los Angeles. If you're a marbler in Southern
          California, feel free to contact me as well. I have my own marbling
          studio and I would really enjoy connecting with someone local, swapping
          stories, and sharing insights and learnings.

          > Many thanks,
          > Barb

        • jemiljan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
            Sorry, I used the wrong link in my last post for the collection at USC. Here is the correct one:

            http://library.usc.edu/uhtbin/cgisirsi/ojM93antKW/DOHENY/107090166/18/X650/XSUBJECT/Marbling+%28Bookbinding%29+Periodicals.

            That said, it looks at though the collection at UCLA is far more comprehensive than the one at USC, so it's probably worth making the trip there:

            http://catalog.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Subject&SEQ=20110702092324&PID=3JL70gXl2FG-0vgaHuM-gPvRF&SA=Marbled+paper.

            Jake