Re: Hand Care Question

  • artsycole
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2011
      Pat, I have been trying different things. One of the problems we have in Alaska is almost no humidity, so almost everyone has problems with dry skin. Some of the things I like are Curel hand lotion in the blue bottle for extra dry skin, Wool Was Creme which is for spinners and has a lot of lanolin in it, O'Keefe's Working Hands salve, which is in the grocery store in a flat green jar and my favorite is "Hardworkers Hand Cream" which is a vaseline type of salve in a time. I got it in a hardware store here. Sometimes I put one on, then another on top of it. What the dermatologist told me to do and I haven't found them yet is to put one of the heavier creams on, then wear thos cotton gloves like quilters or photographers wear over that to bed.

      I had a reaction to something last Summer, either soda ash or something and it caused the palms of my hands to peel and crack and they are just now getting better - of course, now that it's time to start working again. I have nitrile gloves that I wear when working, but when marbling, it seems to go better without the gloves.
      Good Luck
      Sue Cole

    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2011
        HI!

        I wear gloves all the time when marbling, and I find that the ones that are powdered are especially drying to my hands. I get cuticle oil at the drugstore or where I get my nails done, and use that all over my hands at night when I go to bed - I also wear cotton gloves then to keep everything from getting oily.
        HTH!
        Caryl in Indianapolis