Re: [Marbling] DIRECTIONS TO USE OX-GALL... HELP

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12 10:16 AM
      add to that...from batch to batch it can vary! Someone asleep at the dispersant machine, or an inaccurate measurement by just a little, affects painters not at all, but can ruin a marbler's day!
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12 11:04 AM
        I have had great success using gall with acrylics. Generally I add it a drop at a time until the paint spreads on the carafe an or at least does not plop in a blob on the bottom of the tray. Easy to use!
        Nancy Akerly
        Liberty Grove Paper Arts
        http//web.me.com/nakerly

        Sent from my iPod

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12 2:18 PM
          Really?? Most acrylics it has no effect on. What kind are they? Are they very dilute, maybe that would help.
          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com<about:blank>

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12 3:29 PM
            Iris,I misspoke. Oxgall has no effect on acrylics. It is gall that I use with great success to disperse the acrylic paints. That is not made from the gall bladder of an ox but is chemical based. Sorry for the confusion. I get both my paints and gall from the wonderful Galen Berry.
            Nancy
            Liberty Grove Paper Arts
            http//web.me.com/nakerly

            Sent from my iPod

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12 5:39 PM
              If it is a chemical based gall.... what in the world is it? gall is bile! Do they actually call it ox-gall? I suspect it's plain old detergent of some sort. I have a story back from over 30 years ago, I ran out of gall and hadn't realized, and was ready to marble an order. I panicked but the phrase popped into my head "So pure, it floats". It was the old jingle for Ivory Soap. I put some A&P Dishwashing soap into some water, a few drops to about 1/4 cup, and used it as ox-gall, lo and behold, it worked. It works a little differently.... it takes a few seconds longer to get the same spread, but it worked wonderfully. I tried other brands, but it seemed the cheap store brand minus most fancy smells or whatever worked best.

              Photo-flo works the same way, a bit slower, but if I need to I will use it. I had a batch of gall that got "yucky" with pretty near invisible, yet present sediment, most likely. Anyway it was leaving specks in the work, like dust spots, but it wasn't dust. So I strained it a few times, same thing... so I used dilute photo flo, no problems... except I get impatient waiting a few extra seconds for the spread... aren't most marblers this obsessive, or is it just me, LOL!

              Anyway, I am very curious as to whether this chemical gall is simply some kind of soap diluted and repackaged at a high price! Does it foam when you shake it? What color is it, Castile soap has historically been used in marbling and is brown often like gall, and does only Galen sell it or is it commercially available? I'd like to try it! Soap WILL work on acrylic. I use watercolor only unless doing fabric. I get a better historical look with watercolor.

            • savazi2004
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 13 12:25 AM
                Thank You! in fact the principal problem I have is that some colors doesn't work well one upon the other, because for example generally the fisrt color I drop on the size spread well but some colors doesn't spread well upon the first, and they tend to sink down... I dilute my acrylics only with water, and the size I prepare is with methocell...I've done some tentatives to do Ebru (tulips basically) but I can't due this problem...

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 13 12:30 AM
                  Well I see there is a big controversy obout using ox-gall with acrylics for marbling, maybe this is due the variety of formulas of acrylic colors, and their variations... I use a mak called GIOTTO here in Italy and PolyColor too... someone has already experimented with those marks of acrylics?? Thank you in advance!

                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

                  > I have had great success using gall with acrylics. Generally I add it a drop at a time until the paint spreads on the carafe an or at least does not plop in a blob on the bottom of the tray. Easy to use!
                  > Nancy Akerly
                  > Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                  > http//web.me.com/nakerly
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPod
                  >
                  > On Apr 12, 2011, at 9:35 AM, "D or Jer Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have never used oxgall when using acrylics, there really isn't any need. Acrylics have a built-in dispersant (the function of oxgall) in them. How well a color floats and spreads is dependent on the individual tube of paint and, unfortunately, this changes constantly as paint manufacturers change their formulas from year to year. Some colors are "chasers" that is, it moves the first color across the tank...reverse the process, put that color on first and then another color and it works fine. Experiment with the order in which you apply your colors and you will see different results. I've been marbling with commercial acrylics (Liquitex and Utrecht) for 35 years with fine results. Not all colors work, you just have to experiment to find those that do and hope they don't change the formula by the time you purchase that color again!
                  > >
                  > > d.guffey

                • D or Jer Guffey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 13 8:09 AM
                    I have had more success using carragheenan as a size rather than methelcel when using acrylics.

                    By the way...does anyone know the definitive spelling of "carragheenan" which I have seen spelt a number of different ways.

                    d.guffey

                    Thank You! in fact the principal problem I have is that some colors doesn't work well one upon the other, because for example generally the fisrt color I drop on the size spread well but some colors doesn't spread well upon the first, and they tend to sink down... I dilute my acrylics only with water, and the size I prepare is with methocell...I've done some tentatives to do Ebru (tulips basically) but I can't due this problem...

                    --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "D or Jer Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:

                    > I have never used oxgall when using acrylics, there really isn't any need. Acrylics have a built-in dispersant (the function of oxgall) in them. How well a color floats and spreads is dependent on the individual tube of paint and, unfortunately, this changes constantly as paint manufacturers change their formulas from year to year. Some colors are "chasers" that is, it moves the first color across the tank...reverse the process, put that color on first and then another color and it works fine. Experiment with the order in which you apply your colors and you will see different results. I've been marbling with commercial acrylics (Liquitex and Utrecht) for 35 years with fine results. Not all colors work, you just have to experiment to find those that do and hope they don't change the formula by the time you purchase that color again!
                    >
                    > d.guffey

                  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 13 8:27 AM
                      Hi Dolores,

                      I consulted a biologist friend when I published 'International Decorated Paper' and learned that the weed is caragheen and the substance caragheenan.

                      Susanne Krause
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 13 11:02 AM
                        I'm with you...can't stand MC! I know it keeps better but why reuse filthy old size the next day or days later. I can't think of much more of a depressing work turnoff, I like to start with nice new clean size first thing in the morning, just makes me smile. I only mix up as much as I will use in a day, you don't have to add amonia or whatever, just go. I even use horribly hard water, no big deal whatsoever.
                        Speaking of which...I nearly forgot to make it today for tomorrow, thanks for the reminder!! Had the chimney repair AND locksmith here already today and it slipped my mind entirely! Down to the marbling dungeon for me right now..... Or else I don't work tomorrow!

                        The problem with the acrylics the former writer has is you need to balance them with photo flo or whatever, and possibly switch brands. I always found acrylics just naturally to spread way too much to do a nice flower Ebru. Try watercolor, it's the traditional way anyhow. There is a reason people stick with it. And use watercolor that is made for marbling. Store brands too, or gouache, may at times also have too much dispersant.

                        "Carrageenan" goes in without the spell check correcting me! I have seen with the H to though!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 13 4:08 PM
                          And sadly, when you type caragheenan on an iPod Touch, it changes it to' carafe.' Sigh.
                          Nancy Akerly
                          Liberty Grov Paper Arts
                          http://web.me.com/nakerly/Site/Liberty_Grove_Paper_Arts.html

                          On Apr 13, 2011, at 10:27 AM, hamburgerbuntpapier_de wrote:

                          > Hi Dolores,
                          >
                          > I consulted a biologist friend when I published 'International Decorated Paper' and learned that the weed is caragheen and the substance caragheenan.
                          >
                          > Susanne Krause

                          Nancy Akerly
                          http://web.me.com/nakerly/Site/Liberty_Grove_Paper_Arts.html