Re: new

  • hhumler@together.net
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2001
      > > 2. I dip my paper in alum - quick,
      > >easy and no complaints other than a little
      > >cockling but I'd like to know the advantages of sponging it on.
      >
      > It probably just relates to how much acid residue end up in the paper.
      > Probably more from dipping. Sponging on the other hand can be used for

      thanks for the helpful email.
      clarification,please. Is residual acid good
      or bad?
      Thanks for your time
      hallee
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2001
        Some people say the alum residue is bad, others say it preserves paper.
        True enough, a lot of 100 year old+ books, the covers have deteriorated the
        paper text block has crumbled, and the marbled papers are intact.

        You can, by the way, get away with 1/2 strength alum solution in most
        cases. Sometimes less, depending on the paper if you are worried about it.

        I always found that quickly sponging was way, way quicker and less messy
        than dipping. You just need to get used to it.

        Iris Nevins
      • serra guney
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2001
          Dear the marbling group member,

          If there is any place to buy from, I suggest you the natural earth colours
          to use at marbling. It is the only way to get the best result on the
          traditional Turkish Marbling.

          If you want, I can give you some instructions about the places in Istanbul.

          Good Luck on your working
          Serra Guney

          >From: molliann@...
          >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Marbling] new
          >Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:40:55 -0000
          >
          >My elementery students have learned suminagashi and
          >attempted to marbel paper using starch. This next year I would
          >like to introduce the students to Turkish marbling. Please give
          >any suggestions on products to use, best place to buy them, and
          >the paper. Do I have to alum the paper before the students use
          >it?
          >Origin of Marbling? Turkey?

        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2001
            Indeed the pages are an absolute delight to read and see!
            Jill