Re: [Marbling] new

  • Jan Walker
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2001
      > 1. I use 60lb. drawing paper with
      >great results - what specifically do others
      >use? Sources?

      I really like the Loew-Cornell rice paper. Sheets 12x18, sold in packages
      at AC Moore craft stores for about $10 (US). It is soft but strong and
      also a clean lively white.

      > 2. I dip my paper in alum - quick,
      >easy and no complaints other than a little
      >cockling but I'd like to know the advantages
      >of sponging it on.

      It probably just relates to how much acid residue end up in the paper.
      Probably more from dipping. Sponging on the other hand can be used for
      aesthetic purposes -- when it isn't done evenly, you get extra textured
      effects from the alum hit and miss. (Yes, you get to decide for yourself
      whether this is an advantage or not.)

      > 3. Rinsing fabric - how much of the
      >methyl cel is it really necessary to get off
      >the first time. For me it seems to act as a
      >stain if I don't get it all off, but that seems
      >to take away some of the color intensity.

      By "the first time" I'm guessing that you mean before heat setting the
      paints. I'd say get off as much as practical. The stain you refer to has
      also happened to me with carrageenan. I think I impatiently tried to iron
      the piece while it was still damp so that I could overmarble. The fabric
      picked up yellowy brown marks. Most books say that most paints will set on
      fabric with time, not just with heat. Maybe if you let the fabric sit
      ??some amount of time until the acrylic resins cured, then you could wash
      out more methylcel residue without getting stains or losing color? this is
      purely speculation, not knowing enough about acrylic paints on fabric to be
      authoritative.

      Have fun. And if you run into sources of wisdom on the issues of color
      choice, please post!!
      Jan
    • hhumler@together.net
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2001
        > > 2. I dip my paper in alum - quick,
        > >easy and no complaints other than a little
        > >cockling but I'd like to know the advantages of sponging it on.
        >
        > It probably just relates to how much acid residue end up in the paper.
        > Probably more from dipping. Sponging on the other hand can be used for

        thanks for the helpful email.
        clarification,please. Is residual acid good
        or bad?
        Thanks for your time
        hallee
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2001
          Some people say the alum residue is bad, others say it preserves paper.
          True enough, a lot of 100 year old+ books, the covers have deteriorated the
          paper text block has crumbled, and the marbled papers are intact.

          You can, by the way, get away with 1/2 strength alum solution in most
          cases. Sometimes less, depending on the paper if you are worried about it.

          I always found that quickly sponging was way, way quicker and less messy
          than dipping. You just need to get used to it.

          Iris Nevins
        • serra guney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2001
            Dear the marbling group member,

            If there is any place to buy from, I suggest you the natural earth colours
            to use at marbling. It is the only way to get the best result on the
            traditional Turkish Marbling.

            If you want, I can give you some instructions about the places in Istanbul.

            Good Luck on your working
            Serra Guney

            >From: molliann@...
            >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [Marbling] new
            >Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:40:55 -0000
            >
            >My elementery students have learned suminagashi and
            >attempted to marbel paper using starch. This next year I would
            >like to introduce the students to Turkish marbling. Please give
            >any suggestions on products to use, best place to buy them, and
            >the paper. Do I have to alum the paper before the students use
            >it?
            >Origin of Marbling? Turkey?

          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2001
              Indeed the pages are an absolute delight to read and see!
              Jill