Re: This is for Sue Cole/size for ebru

  • abkmoyo
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2011
      Thank you Susanne for making this point clear. I really didn't know the difference. Barbara

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Barbara
      > >

      > > In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "zozo7bra" <momora@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Turkish Marbling or Ebru is wonderful. As of 2 years ago when I studied there for about 3 months their papers did not need alum. Also, for Gum Tragacanth I came back from Turkey with some. I use it mostly for marbling with their natural pigments which are water colours.
      > > >
      > > > I found gum tragacanth in powder form here from Earth Hues a Seattle Company run by a wonderful woman who actually writes to you on paper, imagine that. Her name is Michele Wipplinger. Their website is a mess, but with a bit of patience you will eventually get the hang of it. Here is the link to their mordant page:
      > > > http://www.earthues.com/mordantsandassists.html
      > > >
      > > > I have not used the Gum Tragacanth powder from them yet, when I do, I will post a blurb about it here and at length on my own site.
      > > >
      > > > As for the stuff from Turkey, it is first quality. Next time I am going to Istanbul, I will send you an email and will bring you back 500 grams. Of course you will pay for it and shipping to Alaska from CA.
      > > >
      > > > You actually can order from Ayan Ebru on line (I am not sure about shipping cost) but this is what you are looking for Kitre 1.Kalite 500Gr which cost 55YTL about $50 US maybe, I am not sure about conversion rate at the moment. http://www.ayanebru.com/ and click on the rake icon that says MALZEMELER, scroll down the page slowly until you get to the Ks and you will see it.
      > > >
      > > > If you do get it, I can teach you how to mix it, just know that it is a 4 day process to make it and you have to be precise and clean. At my teacher's we use regular water but it came from the source and had no added junk like here. You will need to use distilled water. And the mixing is all done in glass. Now, also so remember that teaching is not standardized like here, so different teachers do things differently, but since that is how I learned that Is what I am keeping.
      > > >
      > > > As for the translation from Turkish, what is the tile of the book, there is a strong possibility that if it is a recent book that there is an English version or a French one. Google translation is really not a translation tool, not sure who programs that, but translating is an art and a time consuming one, I doubt that you will find a free one worth anything. Depending on when, I can make you a copy of a brief mention in I Dream of Water of tools and materials used in Turkish marbling. Also in Rosalind's treaty (very small book) I think there is a Gum tragacanth formula, but I am not sure, when I find my copy I will look it up for you.
      > > >
      > > > Again, I will walk you through the making of the tragacanth bath, it is a dream to watercolour marble on.
      > > >
      > > > Sorry about going from American to British spelling, but I grew up on British spelling and sometimes it comes up if I am writing quickly.

    • zozo7bra
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011
        gum arabicum = gum arabic is not a marbling medium that I know of. As Suzanne Krause says, DO NOT MIX tragacanth with arabicum.

        Paper: Talas (talasonline.com) is selling a non-buffered paper for marbling. It works beautiful after aluming. I have not tried it yet without aluming, I will do that to check out how it respond to marbling with the water colours I purchased in Turkey on Tragacanth. I hope they continue to carry that because it is so easy ot wrk with. I cannot purchase in more than 100 sheets at a time because I have no space to store it. But I cut it in half and I have enough for 1 year.

        In my case, I love it also for end leaves in my books without marbling, although they do have paper for that as well.

        I was lucky enough to find a paper at the Reuse Center here in Oakland, and purchased a bunch of it, enough to last me a while, it marbles well and works beautifully for book blocks. I guess, I got lucky because that is what it has come down to. It is cheaper and faster to produce the papers that the mass consumer buys.

        momora