Re: [Marbling] carrageenan/irish moss powder

  • Jan Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16 2:59 PM
      From Iris Nevins:

      >Technical information is hard to get out of manufacturers, but if you are
      >buying carrageenan from a store the owner or salesperson should be able to
      >tell you what it is exactly they are selling. All you really need to know
      >to get the best product is to ask if it is Viscarin GP209, non-food grade.
      >
      >We also discussed at the workshop this weekend the many kinds of alum.
      >Stick with what works for other marblers, so many people have experimented
      >with other things and just wasted our money. Lots of these things will
      >work, but not well.
      >
      >I once gathered irish moss in Maine off the beach.....the actual seaweed,
      >and boiled it like I used to when I first started marbling 23 years ago. It
      >was very weak, but worked a little.
      >
      >Iris

      Well, I found one place to find out more about carrageenan. The biopolymer
      division of FMC prepares carrageenan for a variety of uses in food,
      pharmaceuticals, and other applications. They are the folks who make the
      Viscarin GP-209 that Iris Nevins recommends (it is in their pharmaceuticals
      list). In case you are actually interested in the technical side of
      things, this is great fun to look at.

      Best,
      Jan

      If you have trouble getting this Web Site to show up on your browser, you
      can brute force it somehow to bypass the javascript errors generated by
      something or other. I got it eventually but have no idea what it thought
      was wrong.

      http://www.fmcbiopolymer.com/en_US/contents/pharmaceutical/problem_solver/carrag
      eenan/index.cfm?scrn=carrageenan

      Enjoy.