Re: [Marbling] marbling silk and cotton

  • Deluwiel Xox
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2011
      Well, the Jacquard colors work beautifully on my methocel size.  I like the ease of mixing it up better and since I can't devote entire days to marbling (I wish!) the fact that it lasts longer than the carageenan makes it a more sensible choice.  I did watch an instructional DVD by Peggy Skycraft and she gave a good demonstration of the desired viscosity of the size, and I finally think I got that problem solved (I've concluded that the source of most of my color problems was that I mixed the size too thin).  Also, actually watching a marbler in action was worth 10,000 words to me!  I'm mixing custom colors in cups rather than using them right out of the bottle and they have so much more depth.  Very excited with my first results since making these adjustments.

      Laura - I went to your website and your scarves are simply stunning!  Now that I can get my colors more intense and bright, I'll definitely be trying marbling over dye.  I'll be playing with the negative space technique also.  So many possibilities there!

      Iris, your papers are incredible!  The more I see the more I love this art.  Thanks to all for sharing your expertise with a novice...

      Deb

      From: Deluwiel Xox <deluwiel1209@...<mailto:deluwiel1209@...>>

      Subject: Re:

      [Marbling] marbling silk and cotton

      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 11:49 AM

      I'm going to try methocel to compare to the carageenan to see how my Jacquard and Spectralite colors respond. Waiting to receive my order. If I'm still not getting what I want I'll give the Golden acrylics a whirl.

      I've also tried marbling on black silk and the colors simply don't show up. Even opaque white comes out gray. I'll try mixing white in with the other colors and see what happens.

      I'm curious about the use of oil color. I had ordered some solvent-based ink in the three primary colors: http://www.kardsandkrafts.co.uk/art-materials-marbling-inks.irc?id=35248&pg=2<http://www.kardsandkrafts.co.uk/art-materials-marbling-inks.irc?id=35248&pg=2> But when I would drop one color it would instantly disperse, appearing

      to completely disappear. Subsequent drops would float, but when I went

      to swirl the colors it had formed a skin on top of the size and my tool

      just dragged and pulled it all off. What's up with that?

      I'm going to cut swatches of habotai to

      experiment on rather than using my scarves. I also ordered the Peggy

      Skycraft DVD from Dharma.

      I'll keep plugging away - the process fascinates me, and I love that every result is like a little surprise!

      From: Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>>

      Subject: [Marbling] marbling silk and cotton

      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Friday, February 11, 2011, 11:18 PM

      I was pre-washing them because Dharma said to as I recall, but I'm always

      looking for shortcuts, so will try just putting them in the alum solution.

      I DON"T prewash them before dyeing them. I use a process where I pwet them,

      put green label silk dyes on them and cook them for 4-6 minuted in the

      microwave in a ventilated tupperware container. If you want more specific

      info, let me know.

      For the long scarves, I have a "helper" made of two clamps on an upside down

      U pice of wood nailed to one end of the tank, but the bandannas so far have

      needed a human helper.

      The only time I've had a failure was when I tried to marble black silk

      scarves - it barely even showed up on them and I was really disappointed

      with them. I usually use flat crepe from Dharma because the design shows on

      both sides and they feel nice.

      I just tried some Jacquard airbrush opaque red for marbling and it came out

      the reddest of any paint I have used so far. Red is the one color I have

      the most trouble with - it comes out pink or orange. Iris would probably

      have some advice on this. I believe she makes her own paints.

      I mix the size to a little thinner than pancake syrup and the paint to about

      the consistency of 2% milk, although in the summer, I'm constantly adjusting

      them because I do the marbling in a tent outside in my yard and we have

      little humidity, so things can evaporate quickly here.

      Here is the link for Mimi's dvd: http://www.marbling.com/<http://www.marbling.com/> It's very good.

      Also, if you go to www.youtube.com<http://www.youtube.com/> there are lots of videos. Put either

      ebru or marbling in the search box. Sometimes you get ones on marbled

      nails, but keep looking. I eve found one on marbling electric guitars from

      England one time. My favorite though is this one from Australia:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs> also it has wonderful music from

      singing bowl. They use oil colors, and do huge pieces of cloth, but

      otherwise it's the same. There are lots more links to the right when you go

      there.

      Yes, marbling is addictive, and is different to different people.

      Also, I still have not figured out a way to do christmas ornament balls -

      marbling them on the outside of the ball. Maybe it's just too slick of a

      surface. There are lots of examples of marbling on the inside of clear

      glass ones, but I was hoping to do it on the metallic ones. Guess not, or

      maybe that could be a challenge to someone.

      Also,Diane Maurer has several very good books on marbling and paste paper:

      http://www.dianemaurer.com/<http://www.dianemaurer.com/>

      I just found this one:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwCavLLlM6w&feature=related<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwCavLLlM6w&feature=related> I don't remember

      that being on there before. You can see the consistency of the size when

      she stirs things. My scarf tray is not quite that wide, but it is that long

      and looks similar.

      Here are two more:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_vYehXdppI&NR=1<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_vYehXdppI&NR=1>

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-Ta7ichz4&feature=related<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-Ta7ichz4&feature=related>