Re: [Marbling] Re: paper

    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 18, 2011
      Oil will take on buffered paper, the question is whether is is buffered and how much they buffer it with calcium carbonate. You can actually use a little to make it acid free if desired, and if it lingers around ph7.5 it usually still works fine. What the paper companies discovered, and this is not limited to commercial papers, but also "fine" papers for art, prints and books, is that they can shovel up to 50% of the CC into the mash and it saves tons of money over other types of pulp or cellulose. It is still "paper". It still works for most people. So why would they care about a few marblers. I have looked into getting custom runs of my old NaturText made but the cost was prohibitive, never mind where to store all the paper safely.

      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 13, 2014
        Iris, I love learning of these intricacies! Fascinating. I don't think we have opened ream 2 of that purchase, so I will definitely check it before distributing it. The balancing act of dilution/concentration of mordant, size and pigment can be challenging enough! Now buffering of paper adds to the mix. Thanks! Tara