Re: Iris and paper and things

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2011
      First, there is also a thin booklet by Ann Chambers? on marbling with oil
      that I have somewhere.

      Iris, can you post the brand and weight of the inkjet paper you had good
      success with? We don't have a Staples, but we do have an Office Max here.

      When I first started teaching marbling to Senior Citizens, I was using Vano
      liquid starch, thinned down acrylic paints and white heavyweight art type
      construction paper with no alum and it worked great. I bought the white
      construction paper in packages at Michaels. I would lay the paper on the
      designs on the starch and wait until I saw it coming through the back of the
      paper, then place it on a sheet of glass shelving slanted in a container and
      use a shower squeegee to wipe off the excess starch. Some days I am tempted
      to go back to doing it that way.

      Nowadays, part of the time I use carageen gum that I ordered from Diane
      Maurer and part of the time I use Methocel from Dharma and also from

      http://www.rogergeorge.com/expendables/items/etmeth/

      link for methyl cell from Roger George Rentals $15/#

      I have another link for mc from a company called Hercules, but you have to
      order it in 20 to 50 pound lots.

      Roger George Rentals is a movie supply company and I always order it over
      the phone. I have had good luck with it. You need about an extra
      tablespoonful of the powder because it is "flufflier" than the kind from
      Dharma and I use a whisk or stick blender and hot water to mix it up. You
      do not need ammonia for this type. They use it to make slime in the movies
      so that if it gets in their mouth, there is no smell or taste to it. I
      can't remember her name, but the woman I talked to was nice enough to ship
      it in a flat rate box in a double plastic bag and no jar to save on shipping
      for me.

      I use the methyl cellulose when I am working outside in the summer because
      the carageen spoils too fast in the heat and yes, it does get into the 90's
      here in the summer, believe it or not. (I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska).

      In Turkey, they use Gum Tragacanth, but that doesn't seem to be too easy to
      find here. I have a huge book I printed off the internet that someone put
      on here, but it's all in Turkish, but with lots of photos. So far, I have
      not been able to find someone to help me translate it. I keep hoping he
      will put up an english versions of it. I tried to use Google translator,
      but it was too large of a task for it apparently.

      I had also saved this note:

      ***
      http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=63498

      new paper by Talas that is unbuffered for marbling

      I save all my sources in a word document so I don't have to look them up
      every time. There's too many of them to "bookmark" them - LOL.

      There are almost no other marblers here, so I've had to teach myself mostly
      through books and dvd's and asking questions of this list. I was able to
      take a one day lesson from someone in the southern part of the state, but
      she is 6 hours away, so I can't just run over there with questions, so I
      might not always do everything in the "orthodox" way. I mostly stick to
      freeform designs because I have a tremor and it makes the combed desgins too
      jiggly at times.

      I like to experiment, so have also used or tried to use, I should say,
      enamel paints like you paint models with, fingernail polish, spray paint,
      watercolors, oil paints and acrylics with varying results. I have also done
      some suminagashi with some success.

      That's all I have for now.

      Sue Cole

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2011
        Hi Sue....not really...I do not "use" it for work. I have used pack laying around just to experiment. the packing was tossed when the paper was gone and I forget. Office Max or any store or staples online will have the same. You need to just go get a ream (unless they offer a test sheet or two, they may) of the highest quality inkjet paper. Sometimes both sides are coated, others just one, you try both sides. They are all too lightweight for serious bookbinding, so I may use it in the future for kids or something. Don't get "all purpose" papers. They work a little, not great. You may even have something good at home already in your printer! I would expect the better quality is about $10.00 a ream of 8 1/2" X 11". If it doesn't work, use it in the printer. No loss. Usually it's all one weight, maybe a few a teeny bit heavier, go for the heaviest.

        Atlantic Papers sells a paper I believe is called Chinocle or some such...17 X 22 inkjet, no alum needed. You have to buy in bulk from them, not a few or even 100 sheets. It's pricey at $2.00 or so a sheet, but the thought of no alum!! Epson also sells one, 18 X 24, about $1.00 a sheet I think. I suspect it would work, but never tried it. I think it may be too thin to hang when wet at that size. You could drape it over something though. Never tried Chinocle but know someone who has. They are addicted.... no alum!!

        Iris

        http://www.rogergeorge.com/expendables/items/etmeth/<http://www.rogergeorge.com/expendables/items/etmeth/>

        http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=63498<http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=63498>