Re: [Marbling] marbling silk and cotton

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2011
      It's not the paint type or brand, it's the particular pigment. Is it cadmium red? That works great. Most pigments are not friendly to marbling.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2011
        I'm going to try methocel to compare to the carageenan to see how my Jacquard and Spectralite colors respond.  Waiting to receive my order.  If I'm still not getting what I want I'll give the Golden acrylics a whirl.

        I've also tried marbling on black silk and the colors simply don't show up.  Even opaque white comes out gray.  I'll try mixing white in with the other colors and see what happens.

        I'm curious about the use of oil color.  I had ordered some solvent-based ink in the three primary colors: http://www.kardsandkrafts.co.uk/art-materials-marbling-inks.irc?id=35248&pg=2%c2%a0%c2%a0 But when I would drop one color it would instantly disperse, appearing
        to completely disappear.  Subsequent drops would float, but when I went
        to swirl the colors it had formed a skin on top of the size and my tool
        just dragged and pulled it all off.  What's up with that?

        I'm going to cut swatches of habotai to
        experiment on rather than using my scarves.  I also ordered the Peggy
        Skycraft DVD from Dharma.

        I'll keep plugging away - the process fascinates me, and I love that every result is like a little surprise!

        Here is the link for Mimi's dvd: http://www.marbling.com/ It's very good.

        Also, if you go to www.youtube.com there are lots of videos. Put either

[...]

      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2011
          I will look forward to hearing how the Jacquard's work for you on methocel.  I have used Golden fluid acrylics for over 20 years and get my most saturated red with their Pyrrole Red.  I also use it earlier to get concentrated veins of red as accents.  However, Golden does have a cadmium red available that I've not used.  As for marbling on black , metalic paints work well.  By adding a bit of  titanium white or buff  to some of the other colors they will become more opaque.  (Most likely you are using organic pigments that have a stained glass property.)  Also creating concentrated veins of color makes a big difference.  If you use a surfactant to create clear "windows" you get more contrast with the black fabric.  At some point you may want to pursue dyeing your fabric before marbling it.

          Best,
          Laura Sims
          indigostonestudio.com

          From: Sue Cole <akartisan@...>

          To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2011
            Yes Laura...that's something that is such a habit with me, making holes or windows in a design, with gall water for paper or a little diluted Photo-Flo for acrylics, that I forgot to even mention it. I do it all the time, it adds "pop" and life and contrast! You can add too much though and make the color run... needs a bit of experimenting!

            Also sometimes people esp. beginners make the mistake of thinking more and more color piled on will give a darker or denser shade. What it does after that "just enough" line is crossed, is make paints sink or run off, thus giving a paler shade. This leaves people confused. A bit more water to dilute or dispersant for a thinner application often allows a denser color. it's a thought I may elaborate on for a future article!
            Iris

            From: Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>>

            To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>

            Date: Friday, February 11, 2011, 11:18 PM

            Here is the link for Mimi's dvd: http://www.marbling.com/<http://www.marbling.com/> It's very good.

            Also, if you go to www.youtube.com<http://www.youtube.com/> there are lots of videos. Put either

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2011
              PS... in my other life as a Celtic Harper and Guitarist.... we often say the spaces are as important as the notes. In the case of marbling I feel the same. The contrast adds a lot.

              From: Sue Cole <akartisan@...<mailto:akartisan@...>>

              To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18, 2011
                Well, the Jacquard colors work beautifully on my methocel size.  I like the ease of mixing it up better and since I can't devote entire days to marbling (I wish!) the fact that it lasts longer than the carageenan makes it a more sensible choice.  I did watch an instructional DVD by Peggy Skycraft and she gave a good demonstration of the desired viscosity of the size, and I finally think I got that problem solved (I've concluded that the source of most of my color problems was that I mixed the size too thin).  Also, actually watching a marbler in action was worth 10,000 words to me!  I'm mixing custom colors in cups rather than using them right out of the bottle and they have so much more depth.  Very excited with my first results since making these adjustments.

                Laura - I went to your website and your scarves are simply stunning!  Now that I can get my colors more intense and bright, I'll definitely be trying marbling over dye.  I'll be playing with the negative space technique also.  So many possibilities there!

                Iris, your papers are incredible!  The more I see the more I love this art.  Thanks to all for sharing your expertise with a novice...

                Deb

                From: Deluwiel Xox <deluwiel1209@...<mailto:deluwiel1209@...>>

                [Marbling] marbling silk and cotton

                To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>