carrageenan/irish moss powder

  • Marie Palowoda
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2001
      i was just reading the discussion about sources for irish moss/carrageenan.  many years ago i joined frontier herb coop so i could buy irish moss powder/carrageenan for marbling.  the carrageenan/irish moss powder obtained from food coops and herb companies is food grade.  it works great for oil color marbling which i did exclusively for 12 years.  when i started using water based paint, ie; acrylics,  i spent several months trying to get the food grade carrageenan to work.  nothing but frustration: paint rinsing off,  contamination,  odd shapes,  graininess,  horrible combed patterns.  i  found that the instant carrageenan which has been processed for marblers is by far the best.  just thought i would pass this on before every one rushed out to spend alot of money on something sure to be disappointing if one is trying to make nicely combed patterns.

      marie

      ps.sonja, i haven't forgotten. i'm way behind and apologize.

      Marbled Artworks by Marie Palowoda
      2605 W. 19th Street Road
      Greeley, CO  80634  USA
      970-352-3524
      marie@...
      http://artistsregister.com/artists/CO419
    • Jan Walker
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2001
        Marie said: > i was just reading the discussion about sources for
        irish moss/carrageenan. ... the carrageenan/irish moss powder obtained
        from food coops and herb companies is food grade. it works great for oil
        color marbling when i started using water based paint, ie; acrylics, i
        spent several months trying to get the food grade carrageenan to work.
        nothing but frustration: paint rinsing off, contamination, odd shapes,
        graininess, horrible combed patterns. i found that the instant
        carrageenan which has been processed for marblers is by far the best. ...

        Thanks for the info Marie. Just to echo the difference in grade -- I was
        at a workshop with Iris Nevins over the weekend (hi Iris) and she
        recommended the non-food grade carrageenan for marbling with acrylics
        strictly on the basis of price. Cheaper!

        Generally, food vs nonfood grade relates to purity or something physical
        like granularity. I'm curious as to what the basis for dramatically
        different performance would be. Anyone have technical information?

        Regards,
        Jan Walker
        Cambridge MA
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2001
          Hi Jan.....

          Technical information is hard to get out of manufacturers, but if you are
          buying carrageenan from a store the owner or salesperson should be able to
          tell you what it is exactly they are selling. All you really need to know
          to get the best product is to ask if it is Viscarin GP209, non-food grade.
          The person who buys for the store should know if this is what they order.

          We also discussed at the workshop this weekend the many kinds of alum.
          Stick with what works for other marblers, so many people have experimented
          with other things and just wasted our money. Lots of these things will
          work, but not well.

          I once gathered irish moss in Maine off the beach.....the actual seaweed,
          and boiled it like I used to when I first started marbling 23 years ago. It
          was very weak, but worked a little.

          Iris
        • Jan Walker
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2001
            From Iris Nevins:

            >Technical information is hard to get out of manufacturers, but if you are
            >buying carrageenan from a store the owner or salesperson should be able to
            >tell you what it is exactly they are selling. All you really need to know
            >to get the best product is to ask if it is Viscarin GP209, non-food grade.
            >
            >We also discussed at the workshop this weekend the many kinds of alum.
            >Stick with what works for other marblers, so many people have experimented
            >with other things and just wasted our money. Lots of these things will
            >work, but not well.
            >
            >I once gathered irish moss in Maine off the beach.....the actual seaweed,
            >and boiled it like I used to when I first started marbling 23 years ago. It
            >was very weak, but worked a little.
            >
            >Iris

            Well, I found one place to find out more about carrageenan. The biopolymer
            division of FMC prepares carrageenan for a variety of uses in food,
            pharmaceuticals, and other applications. They are the folks who make the
            Viscarin GP-209 that Iris Nevins recommends (it is in their pharmaceuticals
            list). In case you are actually interested in the technical side of
            things, this is great fun to look at.

            Best,
            Jan

            If you have trouble getting this Web Site to show up on your browser, you
            can brute force it somehow to bypass the javascript errors generated by
            something or other. I got it eventually but have no idea what it thought
            was wrong.

            http://www.fmcbiopolymer.com/en_US/contents/pharmaceutical/problem_solver/carrag
            eenan/index.cfm?scrn=carrageenan

            Enjoy.