Re: [Marbling] supply sources

  • Sonja Idema
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2001
      I've used sodium alginate and find it works quite well. It's what I worked
      with when I first started marbling and I still use it for teaching classes.
      It's what's more readily available in Canada and less expensive as well! The
      only thing is that I find I need to water it down quite a bit. It's a lot
      thicker and stickier than carrageenan!

      Cheers!
      Sonja

      Laura Sims wrote:

      > Dear Jill,
      >
      > The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
      > Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
      > only used that for a dying technique.
      >
      > Best, Laura
      >
      > >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      > >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
      > >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
      > >
      > >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
      > >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
      > >Jill
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        Tony,

        Thanks for the info. After reading this e-mail I found a recipe for "irish
        moss tea", using health food store carrageenan/irish moss to make marbling
        bath/size.
        Refer to www.liquitex.com/techniques/marbling.html
        Google search engine has 32 pages of web-links for carrageenan, irish moss.
        Page 16 has a HGTV article featuring Marjorie Bevis and 25 has the liquetex
        info. Galen Berry's site was present as well. If you have time there is
        some interesting info there.

        Best, Laura