Re: [Marbling] supply sources

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
      Dear Jill,

      The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
      Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
      only used that for a dying technique.

      Best, Laura

      >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
      >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
      >
      >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
      >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
      >Jill

    • Sonja Idema
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 8:26 AM
        I've used sodium alginate and find it works quite well. It's what I worked
        with when I first started marbling and I still use it for teaching classes.
        It's what's more readily available in Canada and less expensive as well! The
        only thing is that I find I need to water it down quite a bit. It's a lot
        thicker and stickier than carrageenan!

        Cheers!
        Sonja

        Laura Sims wrote:

        > Dear Jill,
        >
        > The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
        > Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
        > only used that for a dying technique.
        >
        > Best, Laura
        >
        > >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
        > >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
        > >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
        > >
        > >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
        > >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
        > >Jill
      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 7:55 PM
          Tony,

          Thanks for the info. After reading this e-mail I found a recipe for "irish
          moss tea", using health food store carrageenan/irish moss to make marbling
          bath/size.
          Refer to www.liquitex.com/techniques/marbling.html
          Google search engine has 32 pages of web-links for carrageenan, irish moss.
          Page 16 has a HGTV article featuring Marjorie Bevis and 25 has the liquetex
          info. Galen Berry's site was present as well. If you have time there is
          some interesting info there.

          Best, Laura