Re: [Marbling] supply sources

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 3:43 PM
      Dear Jill,

      The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
      Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
      only used that for a dying technique.

      Best, Laura

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        Jill,
        Im sorry if the places I mentioned don't sound familiar. Try contacting a
        Natural Foods store near you, and ask about ordering Carageenan from a bulk
        herb vendor. I do not have the name of a specific store or vendor for Ottawa,
        however you should be able to find one. Best of luck.
        TS
      • Sonja Idema
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2001
          I've used sodium alginate and find it works quite well. It's what I worked
          with when I first started marbling and I still use it for teaching classes.
          It's what's more readily available in Canada and less expensive as well! The
          only thing is that I find I need to water it down quite a bit. It's a lot
          thicker and stickier than carrageenan!

          Cheers!
          Sonja

          Laura Sims wrote:

          > Dear Jill,
          >
          > The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
          > Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
          > only used that for a dying technique.
          >
          > Best, Laura
          >
          > >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
          > >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
          > >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
          > >
          > >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
          > >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
          > >Jill
        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2001
            Tony,

            Thanks for the info. After reading this e-mail I found a recipe for "irish
            moss tea", using health food store carrageenan/irish moss to make marbling
            bath/size.
            Refer to www.liquitex.com/techniques/marbling.html
            Google search engine has 32 pages of web-links for carrageenan, irish moss.
            Page 16 has a HGTV article featuring Marjorie Bevis and 25 has the liquetex
            info. Galen Berry's site was present as well. If you have time there is
            some interesting info there.

            Best, Laura