Re: [Marbling] supply sources

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 3:43 PM
      Dear Jill,

      The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
      Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
      only used that for a dying technique.

      Best, Laura

      >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
      >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
      >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
      >
      >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
      >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
      >Jill

    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 5:35 PM
        Um..........Where are these places?????
        Jill
        Ottawa Ontario Canada
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2001
          Jill,
          Im sorry if the places I mentioned don't sound familiar. Try contacting a
          Natural Foods store near you, and ask about ordering Carageenan from a bulk
          herb vendor. I do not have the name of a specific store or vendor for Ottawa,
          however you should be able to find one. Best of luck.
          TS
        • Sonja Idema
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2001
            I've used sodium alginate and find it works quite well. It's what I worked
            with when I first started marbling and I still use it for teaching classes.
            It's what's more readily available in Canada and less expensive as well! The
            only thing is that I find I need to water it down quite a bit. It's a lot
            thicker and stickier than carrageenan!

            Cheers!
            Sonja

            Laura Sims wrote:

            > Dear Jill,
            >
            > The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
            > Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
            > only used that for a dying technique.
            >
            > Best, Laura
            >
            > >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
            > >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
            > >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
            > >
            > >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
            > >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
            > >Jill
          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2001
              Tony,

              Thanks for the info. After reading this e-mail I found a recipe for "irish
              moss tea", using health food store carrageenan/irish moss to make marbling
              bath/size.
              Refer to www.liquitex.com/techniques/marbling.html
              Google search engine has 32 pages of web-links for carrageenan, irish moss.
              Page 16 has a HGTV article featuring Marjorie Bevis and 25 has the liquetex
              info. Galen Berry's site was present as well. If you have time there is
              some interesting info there.

              Best, Laura