French and Italian patterns

  • Rhonda Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
      I am trying to determine if the popular bouquet pattern, such as this:
      http://www.etsy.com/listing/60228629/antique-bouquet-hand-marbled-paper

      Is considered to be either French or Italian in origin? or neither?

      Also wondering what other patterns are considered to be Italian in
      origin? I suppose the "Italian Vein", is an Italian pattern. Are there
      others that are commonly considered to be Italian?
    • jemiljan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2010
        Hi Rhonda,

        The names alluding to countries that are used in English are extremely misleading. While a bouquet pattern such as the one you posted was made in France, it was hardly the only region that did so. In some cases, like the Spanish waved pattern, there does seem to be a a precedent for the pattern originating in Spain, but I believe that other patterns like the "Italian Vein" were simply named for their appearance, which is reminiscent of Italian marble.

        You might like to find a copy of Richard Wolfe's book, Marbled paper: Its History, Techniques, and Patterns. University of Pennsylvania Press, 1990.

        http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/19775071

        http://books.google.com/books?id=kY92BMFNFjUC

        Jake Benson