Re: [Marbling] supply sources

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
      I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
      ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
      Jill
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
        Dear Jill,

        The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
        Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
        only used that for a dying technique.

        Best, Laura

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
          Try ordering wholesale from Botanical Herb sources like: Starwest or Frontier Herbs. If you have abuying club/co-op near your home try ordering through them for these items, for they usually can get it through their suppliers (Rainbow Natural Foods/Natures Best/Mountain Peoples Warehouse)

          Tony
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
            Um..........Where are these places?????
            Jill
            Ottawa Ontario Canada

          • tserebrian@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2001
              Jill,
              Im sorry if the places I mentioned don't sound familiar. Try contacting a
              Natural Foods store near you, and ask about ordering Carageenan from a bulk
              herb vendor. I do not have the name of a specific store or vendor for Ottawa,
              however you should be able to find one. Best of luck.
              TS
            • Sonja Idema
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2001
                I've used sodium alginate and find it works quite well. It's what I worked
                with when I first started marbling and I still use it for teaching classes.
                It's what's more readily available in Canada and less expensive as well! The
                only thing is that I find I need to water it down quite a bit. It's a lot
                thicker and stickier than carrageenan!

                Cheers!
                Sonja

                Laura Sims wrote:

                > Dear Jill,
                >
                > The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
                > Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
                > only used that for a dying technique.
                >
                > Best, Laura
                >
                > >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
                > >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
                > >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
                > >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
                > >
                > >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
                > >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
                > >Jill
              • Laura Sims
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2001
                  Tony,

                  Thanks for the info. After reading this e-mail I found a recipe for "irish
                  moss tea", using health food store carrageenan/irish moss to make marbling
                  bath/size.
                  Refer to www.liquitex.com/techniques/marbling.html
                  Google search engine has 32 pages of web-links for carrageenan, irish moss.
                  Page 16 has a HGTV article featuring Marjorie Bevis and 25 has the liquetex
                  info. Galen Berry's site was present as well. If you have time there is
                  some interesting info there.

                  Best, Laura