supply sources

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30 9:09 AM
      Dear Marbling community,

      Does anyone have sources for marbling supplies (primarily paint,
      carragheenan and/or methyl cellulose and alum)sold in Canada, UK and
      Australia? If so please list the address, phone number and
      e-mail/website if available.

      Many Thanks, Laura
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30 1:34 PM
        I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
        ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
        Jill
        > Does anyone have sources for marbling supplies (primarily paint,
        > carragheenan and/or methyl cellulose and alum)sold in Canada, UK and
        > Australia? If so please list the address, phone number and
        > e-mail/website if available.
        >
        > Many Thanks, Laura

      • Laura Sims
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30 3:43 PM
          Dear Jill,

          The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
          Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
          only used that for a dying technique.

          Best, Laura

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30 5:18 PM
            Try ordering wholesale from Botanical Herb sources like: Starwest or Frontier Herbs. If you have abuying club/co-op near your home try ordering through them for these items, for they usually can get it through their suppliers (Rainbow Natural Foods/Natures Best/Mountain Peoples Warehouse)

            Tony
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 5:35 PM
              Um..........Where are these places?????
              Jill
              Ottawa Ontario Canada

            • tserebrian@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2001
                Jill,
                Im sorry if the places I mentioned don't sound familiar. Try contacting a
                Natural Foods store near you, and ask about ordering Carageenan from a bulk
                herb vendor. I do not have the name of a specific store or vendor for Ottawa,
                however you should be able to find one. Best of luck.
                TS
              • Sonja Idema
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2001
                  I've used sodium alginate and find it works quite well. It's what I worked
                  with when I first started marbling and I still use it for teaching classes.
                  It's what's more readily available in Canada and less expensive as well! The
                  only thing is that I find I need to water it down quite a bit. It's a lot
                  thicker and stickier than carrageenan!

                  Cheers!
                  Sonja

                  Laura Sims wrote:

                  > Dear Jill,
                  >
                  > The only place I have found it listed on a "when available" basis is Maiwa
                  > Handprints, www.maiwa.com. They also recommend sodium alginate, but I've
                  > only used that for a dying technique.
                  >
                  > Best, Laura
                  >
                  > >From: "J Dolphin" <jdolphin@...>
                  > >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: Re: [Marbling] supply sources
                  > >Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:34:38 -0400
                  > >
                  > >I have been looking for carragheenan in Canada for quite some time and if
                  > >ANYONE on this list knows where, I'll be thrilled to find out!
                  > >Jill
                • Laura Sims
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2001
                    Tony,

                    Thanks for the info. After reading this e-mail I found a recipe for "irish
                    moss tea", using health food store carrageenan/irish moss to make marbling
                    bath/size.
                    Refer to www.liquitex.com/techniques/marbling.html
                    Google search engine has 32 pages of web-links for carrageenan, irish moss.
                    Page 16 has a HGTV article featuring Marjorie Bevis and 25 has the liquetex
                    info. Galen Berry's site was present as well. If you have time there is
                    some interesting info there.

                    Best, Laura