Re: [Marbling] Cleaning the tank

  • Nancy Akerly
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2010
      Really? You put the carrageenan down the drain when you dispose of it?
      Our art teacher at school did that and it clogged up the sink something fierce,
      so I always pout it outside in the bushes, with no ill effect on the bushes.
      What do the rest of you do to dispose of the size?
      Nancy
    • marines bengoa
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2010
        It has never happened to me.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2010
          Nancy, It can clog the drain unless you run lots of hot water after it. It would take a lot of pourings and Drano a few times a year. When I lived in towns and cities 30+ years back when I started the drain was the only option. I won't go into what I do now. You are pretty brave to say you pour it out on the bushes on the web!! Even if they are your own bushes! You never know if OSHA (if you work with anyone else) or the EPA will come knocking on your door. I have in the past done the same, out on the grass, and it grew taller and greener than surrounding patches. Marblers are pouring for the most part totally natural substances if doing watercolor marbling, even if cadmiums are used, where do people think they originally came from anyway, the earth, rocks etc. I will say no more. You had better start looking for the guys in the hazmat suits though, lurking in your bushes!! If you were doing oil color marbling you'd have more toxic remains, but what you are supposed to do with them I don't know. I know oil marblers....and all goes down the drain. I do acid etching on metal and you need to neutralize the acid before pouring down the drain with baking soda (kind of interesting results!!) and that is considered safe. So I can't imagine marbling by products would be harmful either down the drain or out on the lawn or bushes. I'd just do what is convenient. It rarely clogged my drains if followed by hot water. I'd suspect your art teacher's drains were already very slow going for this to happen.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2010
            Nancy and Iris,

            Since I marble fabrics I only use water color based pigments.  Once in a while I
            pour a bucket of hot water, 1 cup of vinegar and a small squirt of Vel dish
            washing liquid. I find this solution  is ecofriendlier than Drano.

            Marines