Re: [Marbling] Paper requirements for different forms of marbling

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2010
      True Jake, but I have tried acrylics on these failed papers too and they didn't survive either. They fared a little better, not much. If I could use acrylics to get that quaint pre-1860s look, I would, right away. It just doesn't look right. I have experimented too, way too many times, with mixing the watercolor with acrylic and it's not so great. I also made the watercolor as is. leaving out the normal binder gum, and subbing acrylic base. These paints work, but it's just not the look I want. Somehow though the color may be right, it's missing something very subtle. They also failed on the bad paper....which I am not happy to say I have a massive collection of now! I am thinking to donate it for a tax write off somewhere soon, for plain endsheets or art paper. It's irritating, plus I am vowing that I will stockpile lots of paper when I find a new one that works. Samples coming from various places now. So need lots of space.

      I plan when I come up for air to try to use ink jet coating in place of alum to see if it works on the bad paper. It's VERY pricey, but I am thinking maybe it can be diluted and sponged on like alum, to lessen the cost. How little can one get away with is the point, since a pint is about $25.00 thus far in my searchings. Ink jet paper of decent quality needs not alum. So you folks who marble for fun (OK, it's work for me, but also fun a lot of the time, just not NOW, LOL!) you can get it at Staples in 11 X 14 and you need no alum. Online you can find it up to 18 X 24 but it is THIN, I wonder if a large sheet wouldn't tear when wet. When I teach now, either kids or a beginner class, I intend to use these papers. If one isn't planning on being a serious marbler, and just likes to do it a few times a year for fun, these papers work great.