trays

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2010
      The ones I have I made out of 1 x 2's for the sides and re-purposed paneling
      for the back, then I lined them with a double layer of visqueen. The last
      one held up for a year before I had to re-line it. The big tray that is 15
      x 80" is a pain to empty because I don't have a drain, but I found a small
      wet vac that fits on a 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot that I will be using to
      suck it out. Then i wipe it out clean before i re-fill it. For smaller
      ones for doing paper, I use the plastic "photo frames" at Michaels that are
      all sealed plastic and are about 1" deep - they work perfectly. I didn't
      like the photo trays as well because they had ridges on the bottom rather
      than being smooth, at least the ones that I found. When I went to the place
      that sold plexiglass, the price they gave me was like $85 for a small tray,
      so I dropped that idea and just went back to making my own and using the
      plastic Photo Frames. I wish the Photo Frames came one or two sizes larger
      though.

      I have used Jet Dri for dishwashers and Acrylic Flow release instead of
      photo flo. This is the best source I have found for Phot-Flo: I bought 2
      bottles, which should last me for practically a lifetime:
      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=photo+flo&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
      If that breaks up, go to the main site and put in Phot Flo in the search
      box. I dilute the photo flo about a tespoon to 8 oz of water. Someone else
      gave me a tip about mixing some clear Photoflo with water and using it as a
      "clear" to make holes for special effects, like over marbling.

      Also, I have had very good luck with marbling this paper:
      http://www.enasco.com/product/9710405(J) It was recommended by Peggy
      Skycraft on her video. It also comes in a larger size and in huge rolls. I
      didn't like the "Fadeless" paper as well, sold by the smae company.
      HTH
      Sue