Re: [Marbling] Re: New to this Group

  • Sinan Yahoo
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2010
      I can not add pictures in my email BUT if you go to my web page you may see some samples

      http://www.digitalebru.info

      MSA

      On Aug 1, 2010, at 9:44 AM, mehmet sinan akdeniz <mehmetsinanakdeniz@...> wrote:

      Ginny and Debbie

      I've forgot to add my designs here they are

      From: Virginia Moreland <colortwirl@...>

      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 8:15 AM

      Debbie,

      I think it's an interesting question. The shop profile for

      ModernMarbling indicates that she does traditional marbling as well. So if

      she is taking a photo of her original work and then digitally manipulating

      it, that's a little different from just using a program to create it (in my

      mind). I actually don't think there's any point in worrying about digital

      marbling, but I do wish that those who sell it would include a little

      background info about the craft.

      Cheers,

      Ginny

      On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Debbie <glassgirl410@...> wrote:

      > Hi John -

      > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !

      > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?

      > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895

      > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this.

      > And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue.

      > Which is a good thing I think.

      > Thanks again,

      > Debbie

      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, John Goode

      > <watermarktile@...> wrote:

      > > Debbie

      > > I find the computer stuff ugly :(

      > > Just as decals and cutt paste things are just bad cheese but most will

      > never

      > > know.

      > > one out of 99 even knows what this is and one out of 5000 even consider

      > > buying the works I make....Not my loss its theirs welcome to Marbling:)

      > > Its all about the beauty we all share!

      > > John Goode

      > > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Debbie <glassgirl410@...> wrote:

      > > > Hello All -

      > > > I am brand new to this group and to paper marbling. Having some fun

      > > > with it. I've only actually done it twice with "fair" results. [;)]

      > > > Thought I'd join in here to further my education on this interesting

      > art

      > > > form. I've already decided on a few changes on my set up to make it a

      > > > little easier on me. lol !

      > > > I'm only doing this for the fun of it and won't even attempt selling

      > any

      > > > of it. I might use what I do make on putting together greeting cards

      > > > for family and friends. I have material to try a little fabric marbling

      > > > as well. I got Galen Berry's book to learn from basically and it's just

      > > > a fabulous book ! Got nearly all my start up supplies from him as

      > > > well.

      > > > Last week, I was checking out the marbling on Etsy. Just to see what's

      > > > out there & look at the lovely patterns and designs. Beautifully done

      > > > books and such ! I did find one shop that offered digitally created

      > > > marbled papers which totally surprised me ! Since I'm very new to

      > > > marbling I just assumed no such thing could be done. I was wrong.

      > > > There's even a computer program out there that does it. I am wondering

      > > > what you all think of that and if I'm out of line, my apologies but I

      > am

      > > > very curious.

      > > > Debbie

    • John Goode
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi I Looked and I personally feel its crap!
        Its going to be great to sell up against that in the marketplace because of
        it s perfectness people will think of it as easy and cheap which is what
        is.....Its a sad for for the originals :(
        John Goode

        On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

        > Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really
        > quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end
        > results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it
        > is not
        > still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I
        > create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.
        > Nancy
        >

        > On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:
        >

        > > Hi John -
        > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
        > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
        >

        > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
        > >
        > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about
        > this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important
        > issue. Which is a good thing I think.
        > >
        > > Thanks again,
        > > Debbie

      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
          Hi Nancy -
          Thanks much for responding. I have to agree with you on the one-of-a-kind quality part. The sad part is that there will always be those that don't care if it's one-of-a-kind or not.
          I don't know how that particular person did the digital marbling. When I asked, they were fairly vague in the explaination which is of course their option.
          I took photo's of my own marbled papers and began playing with them in my photo editing program. It didn't take much to completely change the colors of the original. I am thinking that MAYBE this is what was actually done. I have no idea if that's true - I am just guessing.
          To your question of is it still art ? Maybe - because I was still changing MY original print by changing the colors. I think if I do that sort of thing with MY OWN papers no harm done. Also, as a side, I'm one of those folks that does not consider myself an artist. I'm pretty much a crafter. :)
          Thanks again for your input ! I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.
          Debbie

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

          > Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it is not
          > still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.
          > Nancy
          >

          > On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:
          >

          > > Hi John -
          > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
          > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
          > >
          > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
          > >
          > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue. Which is a good thing I think.
          > >
          > > Thanks again,
          > > Debbie

        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
            Hi Ginny -
            I think that's what she's doing. Photographing her originals and manipulating them - like I've done with my own papers as mentioned above.
            I'm not worried about digital marbling. I was just curious is all. I have no intention of selling anything I do. I've been enjoying learning a new art/craft. :) I've never painted a darned thing in my life so this is really new & very interesting for me ! :)
            I haven't decided if it's something I will continue to do but for now, I'll have fun with it.
            Thanks very much for responding Ginny.
            Debbie

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Virginia Moreland <colortwirl@...> wrote:

            > Debbie,
            > I think it's an interesting question. The shop profile for
            > ModernMarbling indicates that she does traditional marbling as well. So if
            > she is taking a photo of her original work and then digitally manipulating
            > it, that's a little different from just using a program to create it (in my
            > mind). I actually don't think there's any point in worrying about digital
            > marbling, but I do wish that those who sell it would include a little
            > background info about the craft.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Ginny
            >

            > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Debbie <glassgirl410@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Hi John -
            > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
            > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
            > >
            > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
            > >
            > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this.
            > > And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue.
            > > Which is a good thing I think.
            > >
            > > Thanks again,
            > > Debbie
            > >

            > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, John Goode
            > > <watermarktile@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Debbie
            > > > I find the computer stuff ugly :(
            > > > Just as decals and cutt paste things are just bad cheese but most will
            > > never
            > > > know.
            > > > one out of 99 even knows what this is and one out of 5000 even consider
            > > > buying the works I make....Not my loss its theirs welcome to Marbling:)
            > > > Its all about the beauty we all share!
            > > > John Goode

            > > art

            > > any

            > > am

          • mehmet sinan akdeniz
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
              Dear Marbling member

              I just create a movie HOW I create DIGITAL EBRU or what you call here DIGITAL MARBLING for whole member.

              I create this Digital Ebru from one of her (Michelle) pictures she took (the file very small so creation took only 3 minutes) I attached Digital Ebru here and you can watch movie here.

              http://www.digitalebru.info/digitalEbru.html

              Also you can create more without using pictures. You are using water and some pigments or colors and I use colors and software s and computer. What software? ( some of member wrote me e-mail and asked) I use photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter XI and lots of Plugins for photoshop.

              I hope you get some information about this Art

              M. Sinan Akdeniz

              Thanks much for responding. I have to agree with you on the one-of-a-kind quality part. The sad part is that there will always be those that don't care if it's one-of-a-kind or not.

              I don't know how that particular person did the digital marbling. When I asked, they were fairly vague in the explaination which is of course their option.

              I took photo's of my own marbled papers and began playing with them in my photo editing program. It didn't take much to completely change the colors of the original. I am thinking that MAYBE this is what was actually done. I have no idea if that's true - I am just guessing.

              To your question of is it still art ? Maybe - because I was still changing MY original print by changing the colors. I think if I do that sort of thing with MY OWN papers no harm done. Also, as a side, I'm one of those folks that does not consider myself an artist. I'm pretty much a crafter. :)

              Thanks again for your input ! I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.

              Debbie

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

              > Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it is not

              > still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.

              > Nancy

              > On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:

              > > Hi John -

              > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !

              > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?

              > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895

              > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue. Which is a good thing I think.

              > > Thanks again,

              > > Debbie

            • Nancy Akerly
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                Thanks so much - this actually is fascinating. And lovely. I am glad to have an explanation of how it is accomplished, but still think I will stick to my pigments, because that too is a great deal of fun!
                Nancy

                On Aug 2, 2010, at 4:44 PM, mehmet sinan akdeniz wrote:

                > Dear Marbling member
                >
                > I just create a movie HOW I create DIGITAL EBRU or what you call here DIGITAL MARBLING for whole member.
                >
                > I create this Digital Ebru from one of her (Michelle) pictures she took (the file very small so creation took only 3 minutes) I attached Digital Ebru here and you can watch movie here.
                >
                > http://www.digitalebru.info/digitalEbru.html
                >
                > Also you can create more without using pictures. You are using water and some pigments or colors and I use colors and software s and computer. What software? ( some of member wrote me e-mail and asked) I use photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter XI and lots of Plugins for photoshop.
                >
                > I hope you get some information about this Art
                >
                > M. Sinan Akdeniz

              • mehmet sinan akdeniz
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                  :) Of course Ebru of Marbling is another way of Fun, When I go to my Big house in Kusadasi Turkey I do same thing sometime I would like to feel and smell

                  Thanks so much - this actually is fascinating. And lovely. I am glad to have an explanation of how it is accomplished, but still think I will stick to my pigments, because that too is a great deal of fun!

                  Nancy

                  On Aug 2, 2010, at 4:44 PM, mehmet sinan akdeniz wrote:

                  > Dear Marbling member

                  > I just create a movie HOW I create DIGITAL EBRU or what you call here DIGITAL MARBLING for whole member.

                  > I create this Digital Ebru from one of her (Michelle) pictures she took (the file very small so creation took only 3 minutes) I attached Digital Ebru here and you can watch movie here.

                  > http://www.digitalebru.info/digitalEbru.html

                  > Also you can create more without using pictures. You are using water and some pigments or colors and I use colors and software s and computer. What software? ( some of member wrote me e-mail and asked) I use photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter XI and lots of Plugins for photoshop.

                  > I hope you get some information about this Art

                  > M. Sinan Akdeniz

                • Debbie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                    Wow ! Thanks very much for letting us in on the answer to this ! I really do appreciate it ! You most certainly can do one-of-a-kind prints using the computer and programs. Very cool.
                    And thank-you kindly for posting that link of your work.
                    I'm going to keep playing with the old fashioned way but this is really very interesting !
                    Thanks again.........
                    Debbie