Re: [Marbling] Re: New to this Group

  • Nancy Akerly
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it is not
      still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.
      Nancy

      On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:

      > Hi John -
      > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
      > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
      >
      > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
      >
      > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue. Which is a good thing I think.
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Debbie
    • Sinan Yahoo
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2010
        I can not add pictures in my email BUT if you go to my web page you may see some samples

        http://www.digitalebru.info

        MSA

        On Aug 1, 2010, at 9:44 AM, mehmet sinan akdeniz <mehmetsinanakdeniz@...> wrote:

        Ginny and Debbie

        I've forgot to add my designs here they are

        From: Virginia Moreland <colortwirl@...>

        To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 8:15 AM

        Debbie,

        I think it's an interesting question. The shop profile for

        ModernMarbling indicates that she does traditional marbling as well. So if

        she is taking a photo of her original work and then digitally manipulating

        it, that's a little different from just using a program to create it (in my

        mind). I actually don't think there's any point in worrying about digital

        marbling, but I do wish that those who sell it would include a little

        background info about the craft.

        Cheers,

        Ginny

        On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Debbie <glassgirl410@...> wrote:

        > Hi John -

        > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !

        > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?

        > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895

        > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this.

        > And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue.

        > Which is a good thing I think.

        > Thanks again,

        > Debbie

        > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, John Goode

        > <watermarktile@...> wrote:

        > > Debbie

        > > I find the computer stuff ugly :(

        > > Just as decals and cutt paste things are just bad cheese but most will

        > never

        > > know.

        > > one out of 99 even knows what this is and one out of 5000 even consider

        > > buying the works I make....Not my loss its theirs welcome to Marbling:)

        > > Its all about the beauty we all share!

        > > John Goode

        > > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Debbie <glassgirl410@...> wrote:

        > > > Hello All -

        > > > I am brand new to this group and to paper marbling. Having some fun

        > > > with it. I've only actually done it twice with "fair" results. [;)]

        > > > Thought I'd join in here to further my education on this interesting

        > art

        > > > form. I've already decided on a few changes on my set up to make it a

        > > > little easier on me. lol !

        > > > I'm only doing this for the fun of it and won't even attempt selling

        > any

        > > > of it. I might use what I do make on putting together greeting cards

        > > > for family and friends. I have material to try a little fabric marbling

        > > > as well. I got Galen Berry's book to learn from basically and it's just

        > > > a fabulous book ! Got nearly all my start up supplies from him as

        > > > well.

        > > > Last week, I was checking out the marbling on Etsy. Just to see what's

        > > > out there & look at the lovely patterns and designs. Beautifully done

        > > > books and such ! I did find one shop that offered digitally created

        > > > marbled papers which totally surprised me ! Since I'm very new to

        > > > marbling I just assumed no such thing could be done. I was wrong.

        > > > There's even a computer program out there that does it. I am wondering

        > > > what you all think of that and if I'm out of line, my apologies but I

        > am

        > > > very curious.

        > > > Debbie

      • John Goode
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2010
          Hi I Looked and I personally feel its crap!
          Its going to be great to sell up against that in the marketplace because of
          it s perfectness people will think of it as easy and cheap which is what
          is.....Its a sad for for the originals :(
          John Goode

          On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

          > Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really
          > quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end
          > results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it
          > is not
          > still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I
          > create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.
          > Nancy
          >

          > On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:
          >

          > > Hi John -
          > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
          > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
          >

          > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
          > >
          > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about
          > this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important
          > issue. Which is a good thing I think.
          > >
          > > Thanks again,
          > > Debbie

        • Debbie
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
            Hi Nancy -
            Thanks much for responding. I have to agree with you on the one-of-a-kind quality part. The sad part is that there will always be those that don't care if it's one-of-a-kind or not.
            I don't know how that particular person did the digital marbling. When I asked, they were fairly vague in the explaination which is of course their option.
            I took photo's of my own marbled papers and began playing with them in my photo editing program. It didn't take much to completely change the colors of the original. I am thinking that MAYBE this is what was actually done. I have no idea if that's true - I am just guessing.
            To your question of is it still art ? Maybe - because I was still changing MY original print by changing the colors. I think if I do that sort of thing with MY OWN papers no harm done. Also, as a side, I'm one of those folks that does not consider myself an artist. I'm pretty much a crafter. :)
            Thanks again for your input ! I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.
            Debbie

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

            > Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it is not
            > still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.
            > Nancy
            >

            > On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:
            >

            > > Hi John -
            > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
            > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
            > >
            > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
            > >
            > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue. Which is a good thing I think.
            > >
            > > Thanks again,
            > > Debbie

          • Debbie
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
              Hi Ginny -
              I think that's what she's doing. Photographing her originals and manipulating them - like I've done with my own papers as mentioned above.
              I'm not worried about digital marbling. I was just curious is all. I have no intention of selling anything I do. I've been enjoying learning a new art/craft. :) I've never painted a darned thing in my life so this is really new & very interesting for me ! :)
              I haven't decided if it's something I will continue to do but for now, I'll have fun with it.
              Thanks very much for responding Ginny.
              Debbie

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Virginia Moreland <colortwirl@...> wrote:

              > Debbie,
              > I think it's an interesting question. The shop profile for
              > ModernMarbling indicates that she does traditional marbling as well. So if
              > she is taking a photo of her original work and then digitally manipulating
              > it, that's a little different from just using a program to create it (in my
              > mind). I actually don't think there's any point in worrying about digital
              > marbling, but I do wish that those who sell it would include a little
              > background info about the craft.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Ginny
              >

              > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Debbie <glassgirl410@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi John -
              > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !
              > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?
              > >
              > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895
              > >
              > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this.
              > > And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue.
              > > Which is a good thing I think.
              > >
              > > Thanks again,
              > > Debbie
              > >

              > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, John Goode
              > > <watermarktile@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Debbie
              > > > I find the computer stuff ugly :(
              > > > Just as decals and cutt paste things are just bad cheese but most will
              > > never
              > > > know.
              > > > one out of 99 even knows what this is and one out of 5000 even consider
              > > > buying the works I make....Not my loss its theirs welcome to Marbling:)
              > > > Its all about the beauty we all share!
              > > > John Goode

              > > art

              > > any

              > > am

            • mehmet sinan akdeniz
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                Dear Marbling member

                I just create a movie HOW I create DIGITAL EBRU or what you call here DIGITAL MARBLING for whole member.

                I create this Digital Ebru from one of her (Michelle) pictures she took (the file very small so creation took only 3 minutes) I attached Digital Ebru here and you can watch movie here.

                http://www.digitalebru.info/digitalEbru.html

                Also you can create more without using pictures. You are using water and some pigments or colors and I use colors and software s and computer. What software? ( some of member wrote me e-mail and asked) I use photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter XI and lots of Plugins for photoshop.

                I hope you get some information about this Art

                M. Sinan Akdeniz

                Thanks much for responding. I have to agree with you on the one-of-a-kind quality part. The sad part is that there will always be those that don't care if it's one-of-a-kind or not.

                I don't know how that particular person did the digital marbling. When I asked, they were fairly vague in the explaination which is of course their option.

                I took photo's of my own marbled papers and began playing with them in my photo editing program. It didn't take much to completely change the colors of the original. I am thinking that MAYBE this is what was actually done. I have no idea if that's true - I am just guessing.

                To your question of is it still art ? Maybe - because I was still changing MY original print by changing the colors. I think if I do that sort of thing with MY OWN papers no harm done. Also, as a side, I'm one of those folks that does not consider myself an artist. I'm pretty much a crafter. :)

                Thanks again for your input ! I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.

                Debbie

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

                > Hi Debbie, Thanks for sending the link. I think the card designs are really quite lovely - but it takes the one-of-a-kind art quality out of the end results. But then so does mass production of any kind, so who is to say it is not

                > still art? I really love the unique quality of each and every piece I create. I wonder how the digital marbling is accomplished.

                > Nancy

                > On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:17 AM, Debbie wrote:

                > > Hi John -

                > > Thanks for responding to my post & thanks for the welcome !

                > > As for computer program digital marbling - have you or anyone seen this ?

                > > http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernMarbling?section_id=7142895

                > > This is why I was asking the question as to what you all think about this. And since I got only one response, I'm guessing it's not an important issue. Which is a good thing I think.

                > > Thanks again,

                > > Debbie

              • Nancy Akerly
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Thanks so much - this actually is fascinating. And lovely. I am glad to have an explanation of how it is accomplished, but still think I will stick to my pigments, because that too is a great deal of fun!
                  Nancy

                  On Aug 2, 2010, at 4:44 PM, mehmet sinan akdeniz wrote:

                  > Dear Marbling member
                  >
                  > I just create a movie HOW I create DIGITAL EBRU or what you call here DIGITAL MARBLING for whole member.
                  >
                  > I create this Digital Ebru from one of her (Michelle) pictures she took (the file very small so creation took only 3 minutes) I attached Digital Ebru here and you can watch movie here.
                  >
                  > http://www.digitalebru.info/digitalEbru.html
                  >
                  > Also you can create more without using pictures. You are using water and some pigments or colors and I use colors and software s and computer. What software? ( some of member wrote me e-mail and asked) I use photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter XI and lots of Plugins for photoshop.
                  >
                  > I hope you get some information about this Art
                  >
                  > M. Sinan Akdeniz

                • mehmet sinan akdeniz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                    :) Of course Ebru of Marbling is another way of Fun, When I go to my Big house in Kusadasi Turkey I do same thing sometime I would like to feel and smell

                    Thanks so much - this actually is fascinating. And lovely. I am glad to have an explanation of how it is accomplished, but still think I will stick to my pigments, because that too is a great deal of fun!

                    Nancy

                    On Aug 2, 2010, at 4:44 PM, mehmet sinan akdeniz wrote:

                    > Dear Marbling member

                    > I just create a movie HOW I create DIGITAL EBRU or what you call here DIGITAL MARBLING for whole member.

                    > I create this Digital Ebru from one of her (Michelle) pictures she took (the file very small so creation took only 3 minutes) I attached Digital Ebru here and you can watch movie here.

                    > http://www.digitalebru.info/digitalEbru.html

                    > Also you can create more without using pictures. You are using water and some pigments or colors and I use colors and software s and computer. What software? ( some of member wrote me e-mail and asked) I use photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter XI and lots of Plugins for photoshop.

                    > I hope you get some information about this Art

                    > M. Sinan Akdeniz

                  • Debbie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Wow ! Thanks very much for letting us in on the answer to this ! I really do appreciate it ! You most certainly can do one-of-a-kind prints using the computer and programs. Very cool.
                      And thank-you kindly for posting that link of your work.
                      I'm going to keep playing with the old fashioned way but this is really very interesting !
                      Thanks again.........
                      Debbie