tips - forgot

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2010
      I forgot to say that I use the small rubberbands that they use for braiding
      horses manes for the bundles of broomstraw. They have themnow for human
      hair also, but they are cheaper in the feed store for horses.

      Diane Maurer is very good at over marbling.on scarves. For the newbies, you
      can over marble paper and scarves that didin't come out, by re-alumning
      them. I usually throw the paint, then throw on some acrylic flow reLEASE
      OR PHOTOFLO MIXED WITH WATER TO MAKE HOLES, THEN PULL THEM AROUND A BIT WITH
      A KNITTING NEEDLE (sorry, didin't notice I hit the caps lock) so that the
      former design shows thru. Some scarves I have done 2 or 3 times. This link
      shows Diane's beautiful scarves. http://www.dianemaurer.com/wearables.html

      I haven't gotten it made yet, but one person told me about making a trolley
      or roller to go along the top of the tank so that I could roll the comb and
      not have it affected by my tremor. I saw this idea in Sage Reynold's idea
      on making large sheets of paste paper. He uses one in that to make the same
      design multiple times quickly. Here is the link to the youtube vbideo. The
      roller is used at about the 4 minute mark.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUUp_wRAgpY

      Also, on my wooden scarf tank, I have a "helper arm" for when I don't have a
      human helper. About 8" oor so from the end of the tank, I constructed a
      wooden bridge that goes over the tank with two plastic clamps screwed to
      it. I tried wooden clothespins at first, but they kept catching on the silk
      and when they broke, I went to the plastic ones which are much better. I
      clamp one end of the scarf, then throw the scarf over my left shoulder to
      keep it out of the way, lay that end in the tank, then quickly unhook the
      other end and place that in the tank. Sometimes I get hesitation marks, but
      at least I don't have to wait for a helper that way.

      I got the idea from Lucille Scelfo's site where she shows how she makes her
      scarves. She doesn't give directions, but I figured out my version of it.
      HTH
      Sue

      http://www.silksbylucia.com/hand_painted/marbling_process you can see it in
      the second photo here.