Pigment paints

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2010
      Does anyone here know anything about Pigment paints, and how they are mixed? I have read a lot about them but I want them to be loose like milk, not a paste? Some say to use bees wax, but I know that will make them thick and stiff also.
      Also, are there any book that anyone knows of about this type of paint? I have been on here for hours and still no luck.

      Again, thanks to all and have a great day
    • jehannettedelille
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2010
        I use pigment paints. I am basically making period gouache, which is a type of heavily pigmented watercolor. I use powdered gum arabic, water, and the dry pigment. You mix it so that a sample on a note card is neither shiny (too much gum arabic) nor too dry (it will come off on your finger when you brush it). And for consistancy, I make it so it is about like a good gravy.

        What I don't know is how the stuff will marble. It IS heavily pigment dense...Iris might be able to help you there.

        If you need a reference book, you can use Cennino Cennini's book for it...

        Email me if you want more than that, some of the pigments aren't water soluble, I can help you with that.