Re: [Marbling] alum question

  • lilly in nepa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 19, 2010
      Chemically this is too small a difference to really matter.

      Best, Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2010
        Hi Sue,

        I am the one who posted that you can use aluminum sulfate fertilizer for mordanting fabric and paper. I love not having to pay for or wait for shipping!

        I use 4 TB. of alum per gallon for fabric, and 4 TB. per quart for paper. If the alum is mixed fresh and you print soon after the fabric or paper is dry, this gives you a good, sharp print with little loss of color. If you can't marble right away, keep the fabric or paper out of direct sunlight (like in a plastic bag in a drawer or closet) till you can print. Otherwise, the alum tends to oxidize and weaken the bond. The colors tend to rinse off more, leaving you with paler prints.

        Good luck!
        Enid
      • Sue Cole
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2010
          Thanks Enid, that's what I was trying to ask, when I said was there a
          difference. I didn't phrase it correctly. I meant was there a difference
          in the amount used between the gardening type and Dharma's. I saved your
          answer to my file of marbling notes that I keep in Word so I can always find
          them when I need them,.
          Thanks again,
          Sue