Golden on everything!

  • seenmymarbles@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
      Marbling with Golden Fluid Acrylics has worked beautifully with every surface I've tried it on-- paper, cotton, silk, bamboo cloth, wood, bisque, leather. The paint is thinned down about 1:1 ratio with distilled water adding a drop of Golden Flow Release to act as the surfactant, floated on carragheenan. Haven't seen a difference in the hand of the fabric with or without a fabric medium added to the paint. The range of color, the density of the color & ability to stay in suspension wins me over every time. The price is worth the end result.
      Go Golden!

      Creatively,
      Pat K. Thomas
      Facebook.com/seenmymarbles? Become a fan!
    • Deluwiel
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011
        I'm experimenting with my new Golden fluid acrylics. I purchased the GAC 900 recommended to increase the washability of wearables; however, it just acts as an uber-dispersant and the color simply disappears or punches holes in the first color. Unfortunately Michael's didn't have the Flow Release, but it doesn't seem that I need it as I'm finding that some of the colors actually disperse too quickly right out of the bottle and the others seem to do okay with just a drop or two of distilled water. Is this a sign that my methocel is too thin? I'm going for relatively uniform circles of paint when I drop it on; some quickly spread to twice that size in my little test tank (13x9 pan).

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011
          It's more a sign that as usual, generic paints of any sort, gouache, acrylic, watercolor, are not tailor made for the marbling process. It is why I started making and then later as people requested, selling paints. I no longer make or carry an acrylic however.

          I think being, that there is no one paint formula, but they are different for each pigment, some may require more dispersant than others, according to the companies and the desired use by MOST people...which is generally painting.

          You need to take the one that spreads most and adjust all the other colors to IT. I prefer Photo-Flo, diluted, a dropperful to a cup or half cup of water usually and used as ox-gall, for acrylics. Ox gall generally has no effect on acrylics.

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "seenmymarbles@..." <seenmymarbles@...> wrote:

          > Marbling with Golden Fluid Acrylics has worked beautifully with every surface I've tried it on-- paper, cotton, silk, bamboo cloth, wood, bisque, leather. The paint is thinned down about 1:1 ratio with distilled water adding a drop of Golden Flow Release to act as the surfactant, floated on carragheenan. Haven't seen a difference in the hand of the fabric with or without a fabric medium added to the paint. The range of color, the density of the color & ability to stay in suspension wins me over every time. The price is worth the end result.
          > Go Golden!
          >
          > Creatively,
          > Pat K. Thomas
          > Facebook.com/seenmymarbles? Become a fan!

        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011
            You'll have to find your own way.  Even though Pat and I both use Golden our recipes vary.  I do not like marbling paper with a methyl cellulose bath.  As for the thickness of your solution try 3 1/2 to 4 TBS. of methyl cellulose to a gallon of water.  Add 2 tsp. of ammonia and stir until thick and then stir in 2 tsp. of white vinegar.  My paint formula is 1 part paint to 1part GAC 900 to 1 or 2 parts water.  Generally I only put Flow Release in the metallic paints.  To make" windows" in the paint or compress areas I make a strong (30 drops to 1 cup water) and weak solution (15 drops to 1 cup water) of Flow Release.

            In the archives I listed a good starter kit for Golden Fluids.  Instead of posting it again you may email me directly and I'll send you the list.

            Best,
            Laura
            Indigo Stone Studio

            I'm experimenting with my new Golden fluid acrylics. I purchased the GAC 900 recommended to increase the washability of wearables; however, it just acts as an uber-dispersant and the color simply disappears or punches holes in the first color. Unfortunately Michael's didn't have the Flow Release, but it doesn't seem that I need it as I'm finding that some of the colors actually disperse too quickly right out of the bottle and the others seem to do okay with just a drop or two of distilled water. Is this a sign that my methocel is too thin? I'm going for relatively uniform circles of paint when I drop it on; some quickly spread to twice that size in my little test tank (13x9 pan).

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "seenmymarbles@..." <seenmymarbles@...> wrote:

            > Marbling with Golden Fluid Acrylics has worked beautifully with every surface I've tried it on-- paper, cotton, silk, bamboo cloth, wood, bisque, leather. The paint is thinned down about 1:1 ratio with distilled water adding a drop of Golden Flow Release to act as the surfactant, floated on carragheenan. Haven't seen a difference in the hand of the fabric with or without a fabric medium added to the paint. The range of color, the density of the color & ability to stay in suspension wins me over every time. The price is worth the end result.

            > Go Golden!

            > Creatively,

            > Pat K. Thomas

            > Facebook.com/seenmymarbles? Become a fan!

          • kathrynfanelli
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2011
              Hi Laura,

              I've been working with Golden products for marbling for about a good month 4 days a week now. You sound as though you've been working along the same lines so I thought I could ask you some questions. Firstly, what formula do you use for your bath? I"m using the methocel but I find it goopy and not entirely able to control my paint. I bought the airbrush colors which have been working well but move to fast and the liquide acrylic line and add a bit of the flow release/water. Still too fast or sinks. I would like the paints to sit atop as the airbrush paints generally do but I'd like a slower movement. Also, how does one decrease the intensity of the golden colors?
              Papers: I use a heavy weight 100% cotton, almost like a blotting paper because the color transfer is so beautiful but it's not as crisp and flat. What would you recommend? Thanks for your replys~Kathy