Re: [Marbling] Marbling Colors

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
      Bill..... water down the Walmart type colors. I like Ceram Coat or Folk Art. I get vivid...too vivid color with them. If they sink water them down. It may actually yeild a brighter color. I do little to no adjustment to them. Could be water chemistry and temperature too however of the size... or what is the size? I use them with carrageenan. The may not cooperate with methyl cel, but I never use it, so would not know. I really don't like it as compared to carrageenan so never touch it. Could be the problem you are having. If you tried carrageenan it should work great.

      I am an old dog at this game, and we never heard of methyl cel, not even powdered carrageenan when I started. We were still boiling handfuls of dried seaweed. A pain, but it always worked well. When I tried methyl cel numerous times, I just found it more difficult than carrageenan. The methyl cel will last longer so guess that is why people like it. And cheaper too. Still a pound of carrageenan goes a pretty long way, even for large tank marbling, and I use one that holds about 10 gallons or more.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
        We use Utrecht colors, mixed by Galen Berry, an outstanding marbler. We used
        to use Ceramcoat exclusively until it seems they changed their formulas and
        we had trouble with them spreading well. Utrecht has evidently made a pledge
        not to change their paint formulas, and the colors are quite bright.

        Linda Moran in Tucson
        --
        An Ancient Art Made Modern!
        Marble-T Design
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
          Have you tried Dye - Flow from Jacquard?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
            I've used Liquitex since 1976, but over the years the formula changes for various colors. Some work quite well, others I can't get to work no matter what. I've had success with Utrecht as well. I only marble on carrageenan. I mix the paint with distilled water to get it to the right consistency, and I've never had to use a dispersant. The Liquitex works on both paper and silk (the only fabric I've marbled).

            d.guffey