Marbling Colors

  • Bill Colvard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
      Trying to select a line of colors for marbling has been difficult. My favorite so far are the Jacquard Airbrush/ Marbling colors. They work well, float and spread well out of the bottle but the colors are less than spectacular.

      The Doc Martin/ Spectralites are expensive and the mixing of 40 drops paint to 1 drop catalyst becomes a pain when marbling large pieces of fabric. And I see no significant difference in hand of fabric between the Spectralites and the Jacquard.

      Just learned about Pebeo marbling colors? Has anyone tried them? They're also spendy but if they do the job.... Also, I have heard great things about Golden Airbrush colors (I think from members of this list) but they supposedly are not for use on fabric according to the Dick Blick website. Is this true?

      I have tried the cheap craft acrylics (like from Wal-mart) and wasn't real happy. They need a lot of adjustment to float and spread well and there is a LOT of sinking color. Also the colors are not as intense as i want.

      Any ideas or suggestions? I am open.

      Bill Colvard

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
        Bill..... water down the Walmart type colors. I like Ceram Coat or Folk Art. I get vivid...too vivid color with them. If they sink water them down. It may actually yeild a brighter color. I do little to no adjustment to them. Could be water chemistry and temperature too however of the size... or what is the size? I use them with carrageenan. The may not cooperate with methyl cel, but I never use it, so would not know. I really don't like it as compared to carrageenan so never touch it. Could be the problem you are having. If you tried carrageenan it should work great.

        I am an old dog at this game, and we never heard of methyl cel, not even powdered carrageenan when I started. We were still boiling handfuls of dried seaweed. A pain, but it always worked well. When I tried methyl cel numerous times, I just found it more difficult than carrageenan. The methyl cel will last longer so guess that is why people like it. And cheaper too. Still a pound of carrageenan goes a pretty long way, even for large tank marbling, and I use one that holds about 10 gallons or more.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
          We use Utrecht colors, mixed by Galen Berry, an outstanding marbler. We used
          to use Ceramcoat exclusively until it seems they changed their formulas and
          we had trouble with them spreading well. Utrecht has evidently made a pledge
          not to change their paint formulas, and the colors are quite bright.

          Linda Moran in Tucson
          --
          An Ancient Art Made Modern!
          Marble-T Design
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
            Have you tried Dye - Flow from Jacquard?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
              I've used Liquitex since 1976, but over the years the formula changes for various colors. Some work quite well, others I can't get to work no matter what. I've had success with Utrecht as well. I only marble on carrageenan. I mix the paint with distilled water to get it to the right consistency, and I've never had to use a dispersant. The Liquitex works on both paper and silk (the only fabric I've marbled).

              d.guffey